CloneVDI tool - Discussion & Support

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Turbodid

Re: CloneVDI tool - Discussion & Support

Post by Turbodid »

Thanks for the information

My problem is to migrate a vdi file from an older version

Does VBoxManage do it??
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Turbodid wrote:My problem is to migrate a vdi file from an older version
What does that mean? What older version?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Turbodid

Post by Turbodid »

Older version of virtualbox
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VDIs don't really change in between VirtualBox versions. Do you mind telling us why you think you need to "migrate" the hard disk? In what sense? From what version? Please give us the whole plan, this is not Twitter, you could elaborate...

We may be veering off from the CloneVDI help here...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Turbodid

Post by Turbodid »

Hello,

When I try to create a new machine with an existing disk I get the following error:

Echec de l'ouverture du fichier d'image de disque E:\VM\La poste - KAORA - Sysperiane\Clone de VM Divalto Démo - X.1 - V39-disk1.vdi.

Could not get the storage format of the medium 'E:\VM\La poste - KAORA - Sysperiane\Clone de VM Divalto D�mo - X.1 - V39-disk1.vdi' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Code d'erreur : VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Composant : MediumWrap
Interface : IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
Fonction appelée : IVirtualBox {9570b9d5-f1a1-448a-10c5-e12f5285adad}
Code retourné : VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

So how to solve it?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It looks like that VDI has been corrupted. You can try opening it with the GUI version of CloneVDI and see if the repair option is offered.

Where did this VDI come from, and what is drive E: ? Because another explanation of VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED is that the VDI has been truncated by being transported on a FAT formatted external drive.
Turbodid

Post by Turbodid »

Where can I download the CloneVDI GUI?

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

At the very first post of this thread.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Turbodid wrote:Where can I download the CloneVDI GUI
You already downloaded it. CloneVDI is a native Win32 GUI application. Just run it normally: not from the command line, and not using any command line arguments. It isn't clear to me why you did that in the first place.
Turbodid

Post by Turbodid »

Bad news

see the 2 attached files

:x
error.png
error.png (62.65 KiB) Viewed 11593 times
Attachments
error1.png
error1.png (48.05 KiB) Viewed 11593 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hmm. Word wrapping is poor in the first dialog on your host. I'll need to fix that.

"OS error 0" means that it reached end of file unexpectedly, i.e. the file is truncated - which matches my earlier suggestion.
mpack wrote:and what is drive E: ? Because another explanation of VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED is that the VDI has been truncated by being transported on a FAT formatted external drive.
I assume you are aware that FAT partitions (most external thumb drives are FAT formatted) cannot store files which are larger than 4GB, however there are lot of other possible reasons for why the file came to be truncated.
Turbodid

Post by Turbodid »

As you can see in the attached screenshot it is a NTFS partition.
Attachments
disk.png
disk.png (9.01 KiB) Viewed 11570 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

See the final sentence of my previous post, especially the latter part of that sentence.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to call a halt to this. This is the CloneVDI support topic. We have already established that you do not have a CloneVDI problem, you have a damaged (truncated) VDI. You can go elsewhere to discuss that, but there is really no point: a truncated VDI cannot be repaired: you need another copy of the original file.
cosmicvibes

Post by cosmicvibes »

Just wanted to say cheers to the original poster. 9 years on and this tool is still saving bacon. Run fine under wine on Ubuntu 18.04. :D
ndt1896

Post by ndt1896 »

mpack

This is amazing software. It is functional and intuitive in a rare way.

I have been pulling my hair out over a corrupted VDI file. Scouring the web, trying normal disk recovery utilities in windows/linux did not work out for me.

I made some progress by finding your posts like: this site topic =83565

(I registered just to shout out props so cant paste URLS yet, account needs to be a day old.)

Then I landed here and your software solved all my problems, successfully generating a new header for my corrupted file that worked.

I have downloaded the source code you posted and am excited to go through it. I'm interested if you have the cliff notes or napkin math you are doing to calculate the numbers when people give you a vdi file size and [corrupted] header?

Seriously, amazing work..
Last edited by socratis on 18. Aug 2018, 09:47, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add links.