CloneVDI tool - Discussion & Support

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: CloneVDI tool - Discussion & Support

Post by mpack »

ACTSYS wrote:I have VHD files only. it would be nice if the tools work on my VHD file.
? CloneVDI already accepts VHD files as input. I don't create VHD files as output because I do not want to encourage use of that inferior format. And besides which, VDI is the native format in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mmcl26554 wrote:I do not know the name of the author of the program
You really should be paying more attention to your screen. Bottom part of the program screen, About: ... Don Milne (aka mpack). ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wavemaster

Post by wavemaster »

I have a 40 GB fixed size vdi with Win 10.

Used VDI tool to create a larger clone

Created a new machine and attached it to the new vdi.

It says there is no boot media.

Looking for some ideas.

TIA
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If VirtualBox tells you "no bootable media found", then no bootable media is attached to the VM.

What is the "VDI tool" you used to create a larger clone? If you mean CloneVDI then I have no idea what you've done, because the cloning function in CloneVDI is well proved. Of course, the same can't be said about the task of resizing a Win10 drive.

I hope the drive was at least of a legacy MBR type, i.e. not EFI?

Since you can't have much time invested in Win10 - and it's just a beta OS in any case - I would suggest simply reinstalling Win10 into a larger drive, and this time don't make the mistake of going for a fixed size drive. A dynamic drive will give you better flexibility and better performance.
ATreggia

Post by ATreggia »

Hi, sorry if my question is too simple.
I have downloaded CloneVDI v. 2.10: what is the last release of this software?
Best Regards
Andrea Treggia - Italy
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The latest release can always be found attached to the first message of page 1 of this topic, and 2.10 is indeed the latest release as I write this.
wmeyer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Error on cloning large VDIs

Post by wmeyer »

Yesterday I had occasion to try an operation in which I took a 90GB VDI and cloned it, while changing the UUID, expanding the drive 120GB, and increasing the partition size at the same time. At what should have been the end of operations, an error popped up reporting an attempt to seek beyond the end of the drive. I retried this, using both a 250GB SSD target and a new 3TB HDD target. The error recurred, and always at the end of operations. It's a tedious proposition to run this, as the cloning took a long while.

I have no idea whether this is an issue specific to your fine cloning tool, or whether it may be in the underlying VBox tools, but thought I should report it, as it is repeatable. I did retry with the specification of 110GB and 100GB as the new size, and again got the same error. My workaround has been to create a new VDI, add it to the VM, and inside the VM, do file copies to achieve the desired result. Obviously, it's not a welcome alternative.

I am using version 2.10 of the cloning tool, and was using the VBox 4.3.26 release.

Thanks for your efforts!
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: Error on cloning large VDIs

Post by mpack »

Hi. Long time no see - I recognize you as the first person other than myself to post in this thread, six years ago! :).
wmeyer wrote:I have no idea whether this is an issue specific to your fine cloning tool, or whether it may be in the underlying VBox tools, but thought I should report it, as it is repeatable.
Actually neither, since the error indicates a problem with the file being cloned, not with either of those tools. Specifically it tells you that the source file has been truncated, or in any case is shorter than the header indicates it should be.

This should be easily checked. Open up the source VDI in CloneVDI and click "Header info". Note the "Blocks allocated" number, then exit from CloneVDI and check the file size: as a first approximation the size should be no less than <BlocksAllocated+1> megabytes.
wmeyer

Post by wmeyer »

Hi. Long time no see - I recognize you as the first person other than myself to post in the thread, six years ago! :).
You haven't seen me because the tool works so well. :D I will do some more checking, though I may have killed that file, once I achieved the goal by other means.
Alex718

Post by Alex718 »

The download link in the first post in this thread does not work.

I always get the attached error !

Help. Thanks.
Attachments
Error
Error
Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 12.10.27.png (27.96 KiB) Viewed 8808 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

It just worked perfectly for me.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

works fine for me as well.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
polocanada
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2003

Post by polocanada »

I wish it was available for Mac OSX. Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You can (and many do) run it on OS X hosts under Wine, as you can on Linux hosts. I believe there are various Wine wrappers available in the Apple store. The one that used to be recommended was "WineBottler", but I don't know if that's still going.
wmeyer

Re: Error on cloning large VDIs

Post by wmeyer »

mpack wrote:This should be easily checked. Open up the source VDI in CloneVDI and click "Header info". Note the "Blocks allocated" number, then exit from CloneVDI and check the file size: as a first approximation the size should be no less than <BlocksAllocated+1> megabytes.
I'm back! :lol: I have just encountered the problem again. But as it is a dynamic VDI, the file size is much less than the Blocks Allocated. In this instance, I have 90651 blocks allocated, and a file size of 45,317MB.

Frustrating, when it happens. I vaguely recall when it happened before that I tripped over a way to make it work, but now I have forgotten. And it may only have been a fluke, of course.

Thoughts?