Stop 1e error starting Windows 7 RC guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Stop 1e error starting Windows 7 RC guest

Post by Perryg »

Wow. If it causing an exception error and killing Vista before it can trigger a dump then it must be something effecting the bios. You really need to get this to the Dev's. File a ticket with them and they will ask for information that they need. Be sure to give them as much information as you can and even post this link so they can see what is going on. It would not hurt to write down the exact steps and all settings as well, but either way they will ask for information that they need.

By the way it would be nice if you would post the results here in case someone else has this problem.
wrecklesswun
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by wrecklesswun »

My hardware is:

Intel Core i7 920
12 gb ram
1 tb hd (Raid 1)
Intel GB ethernet
Have Readyboost enabled
NX Hardware and software enabled
Intel VT-x enabled
All the latest patches
Vista x-64 Ultimate SP2 (Technet Plus)

Now also if i turn off Intel VT in the guest then start it, it freezes the box, where by i have to pull the plug to restart, but noo blue screen...it would seem that the Intel VT is the issue.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Now also if i turn off Intel VT in the guest then start it, it freezes the box, where by i have to pull the plug to restart, but no blue screen...it would seem that the Intel VT is the issue.
May be but I know others are using this and it works. I just don't know why in your case it does not. You either need to report it or take the unit to whom ever and have them see why it will not work as advertised. Wish I could do more but I have nothing to work with. No log, error reports, Etc.
wrecklesswun

Post by wrecklesswun »

On my former box which was a Core 2 Quad, it worked beautifully. The hardware is almost identical with the exception of the proc and ram. can i turn on logging in vbox?
wrecklesswun

Post by wrecklesswun »

OK just a hunch i tried removing the usb (disable) devices, and now i am working...it seems vbox doesn't like either, USB bluetooth, usb flash drive, usb mass storage, usb ups...any way to debug this?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I do not use USB in anything related to VBox on Vista. It simply is not worth the head aches for me. The only way it works is to enable USB and not set any filters. Then you select what you want in the guest and it tries to install the drivers. If you are lucky it will work if not it throws an error and closes the guest and most of the time it kills the VBoxsvc.exe.
The only thing that I wanted to do was use a USB memory stick and I found the best thing for me was to create a share and map it. Other than that my printer is USB and I set it up as a network printer and use it that way. No muss no fuss.
wrecklesswun

Post by wrecklesswun »

Ok more digging...i found this just before a bsod:

Faulting application VirtualBox.exe, version 3.0.4.0, time stamp 0x4a787e42, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e0421d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000000000048d50, process id 0x1730, application start time 0x01ca161ea66ffc12.

As well, i did a few things. Instead of the virtual disk being on my system drive, i moved it to a drive connected as e-sata...this causes the blue screen immediately with the 1e error. Now i moved the disk and tried a new one on a usb drive other than this drive, and it seems to load the OS, then voila, this error and a 3b bsod....system_service_exception, a fault in vmm.sys.

So it seems it's a combo of different hardware causing this issue.

I also did one more thing, i disable software and hardware caching for the system drive, and it seems to make it even further along in the guest os install before bsod with 3b, error in vmm.sys. The other thing is when it does blue screen, i cannot find the dmp file, i suspect the intel sata driver is unloaded so it never gets written. Is there anything i can do to catch this in the act and log outside of a bsod? I'd be willing to do a live meeting (shared view) with a cam so you or someone can see this in the act.

thanks for being patient with me.
wrecklesswun

Post by wrecklesswun »

entered a bug ticket