VirtualBox as a VPS Hosting platform?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Re: VirtualBox as a VPS Hosting platform?

Post by vbox4me2 »

The answer is yes, but for such environment stick to VirtualBox-3.1.8-61349 or VirtualBox-3.2.12-68302,
VMServer: XXXXX has been up for: 62 day(s), 0 hour(s), 41 minute(s), 50 second(s)
Currently 73 VM's running mixed linux/windows on a dl360 dual xeon (16 cpu) with 192gb ram with xp64 as host.
manishfoodtechs

Post by manishfoodtechs »

The Simple and most trusted answer : RESOURCE POOLING and DNS complexity

The most precious thing is RAM , Cores and Memory . When you use virtual box it uses your HOST machine RAM and it strictly allot the same to each virtual machines.

For Instance, you have 12 GB RAM Host and 500 GB HDD and you need to create two VMs hosting two servers Ubuntu Server1 and Ubuntu Server2.
This is what happening :
Virtual Machine 1 : Ubuntu Server 1 : 4 GB and 200 HDD
Virtual Machine 2 : Ubuntu Server 2: 4 GB and 200 HDD
HOST Machine Left with : 4 GB RAM and 100 HDD

In above example note that Virtual BOX will fix the RAM for each VMs (servers) and even when VM1 is not in use will not allow other VM2 to use its resources.
Virtual Box doesn't allow resource pooling of RAM, cores and Memory and only limited to HDD pooling. Even swapping of HDD to RAM will not save you because its uses core RAM not reserved.

Further, your Host Machine should not crash because of fixed resources (RAM) allocations to VMs. If this happens then your Virtual Box will also crash resulting crashing of every thing.

So can I use in Production? For small Projects yes ( if you don't care about pooling) and for Large projects NO .
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, but you shouldn't have woken up an 8-year old thread, better let it sleep, most of the participants haven't logged on for years, locking this.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.