VirtualBox 3.0: Problems with bridged network connection

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Fehmund
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, CentOS, Win XP, openSUSE

Re: VirtualBox 3.0: Problems with bridged network connection

Post by Fehmund »

I had lots of problems with bridged networking after upgrading to VB3.02 (host Win 7RC x64). All guests (win XP, Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 9.04, CentOS 5.3) lost network access or refused to boot (can't remember the error message).
I had to remove VirtualBox, reboot and reinstall v3.02 to solve those issues.
Usually I do an upgrade install, but this time it didn't work.
john.doe
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: WinXP, Vista, 2003, 2008, various Linux distros and others

Post by john.doe »

I had similar issues on Windows 7 x64 Build 7600 as a host and Ubuntu Server 9.04 as a guest.

Perrygs solution worked by changing from the PCnet III to the Intel PRO/1000 T Server
Roy Sharp
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Debian / Ubuntu

Post by Roy Sharp »

did you get an answer to this - it is driving me crazy!

All bridged options give the same error. (Vista 32 ultimate host / debian guest)

Actual error message is
"Failed to open/ create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking- Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller' (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND)"

Thanks,
Roy :?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@Roy Sharp

You should upgrade the version 3.0.2 and select the IntelPro/1000 T server for your virtual network adapter.
Roy Sharp

Post by Roy Sharp »

Phew! nearly created a new thread - sorry.

I have installed the latest Virtualbox using VirtualBox-3.0.2-49928-Win.exe and I have repaired the installation and rebooted a number of times.

I get a VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND error on boot with "failed to open/ create the internal network ...(physical interface card name)"
Details =>
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {0a51994b-cbc6-4686-94eb-d4e4023280e2}

This happens for all adaptors in the list. The machine will not boot with 'bridged' selected.

I have seen the virtualbox bridged networking driver mentioned and vboxnetflt but I am not sure a) if these are relevant and b) where to look.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Roy,

I was answering your post when you killed it :wink:

Anyway the problems seem to be the Virtual network adapter. Select the IntelPro/1000 T server and if it does not work close down the guest, reboot the host and then try again.
Roy Sharp

Post by Roy Sharp »

sorry about that

Anyway, it's had all night to rest and recover but still no joy. The guest will not actually boot.

I have to solve this in the next couple of days so any more ideas would be welcome.

Can I check files/ registry/ services - is there a list of what should be installed?

Thanks,

More info:

The vboxnetflt entry in the x86 msi file is not flagged as a driver - is this correct?

It's now working BUT

I modified the MSI and repaired the installation: still the same error (after reboots)
I uninstalled VirtualBox, and rebooted. (Checked the registry - there were still a number of entries containng vbox or virtualbox)
Reinstalled from the distributed exe; ignored the 'start virtualbox' prompt at the end and then accepted the reboot prompt (installation script bug?)
VirtualBox guest would not start as it could not find the network adaptor (it was not on the drop-down list in settings either).
Checked the network adaptor properties and VirtualBox Bridged Network was in the list but not ticked.
Set to included and save settings.
VirtualBox guest now starts!! Whoopee :D

Thoughts ...
:idea:
Could be that the uninstall did not remove the vboxnetflt entries from the registry (as it still appeared in the network adaptor properties)?
maybe I didn't run it as administrator specifically the first time (although my user is an admin and I have UAC switched off)
maybe the wind changed :wink:
strangeelement
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10

Post by strangeelement »

I think I have found myself victim of an issue with changing adapters and Bridged networking.

I tried to switch to the Intel PRO/1000 T Server adapter but I received the classical unable to load network interface and unable to load the virtual machine.

When I tried switching back to the PCnet-FAST III, even though I had previously successfully booted with this adapter and bridged mode, I received the same error message as with the Intel PRO/1000 T Server.

After re-installing Virtualbox the problem went away and I am now able to boot with the Intel PRO/1000 T Server adapter.

Not sure what exactly triggered the issue but I'm passing on as a warning, and as a solution if ever someone ends up in the same situation.

Unfortunately though, using the Intel PRO/1000 T Server adapter did not make Bridged adapter work for me...

It's strange since I have another VM that is configured with Bridged adapter and it had Internet access. Not anymore though...

And all this pain because I lent my router.... :cry:
majid3612
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows server 2003

Post by majid3612 »

Hi

How i can use internet via ADSL in virtualbox???

In bridge adapter section there is 2 choice(LAN and WIFI) and i can't create a bridge to use internet in virtualbox 3.0.4

Please help me....

THANKS.
strangeelement

Post by strangeelement »

majid, I have had little success with Bridged adapter without using a router.

If you use a router and have your ADSL modem connected to the router, it should be simple enough. DHCP should work for the VM to take an IP from the router, or you can specify the router's IP address as gateway if you need a static IP.

Without a router, I have had only one successful configuration. It took me all day yesterday but it works fine, depending on your setup of course. My setup is a Windows XP host and a Ubuntu 9.04 guest.

I explained my configuration in this post: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21907.
majid3612

Post by majid3612 »

strangeelement wrote:majid, I have had little success with Bridged adapter without using a router.

If you use a router and have your ADSL modem connected to the router, it should be simple enough. DHCP should work for the VM to take an IP from the router, or you can specify the router's IP address as gateway if you need a static IP.

Without a router, I have had only one successful configuration. It took me all day yesterday but it works fine, depending on your setup of course. My setup is a Windows XP host and a Ubuntu 9.04 guest.

I explained my configuration in this post: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21907.
Dear strangelement

Please guide me to access to internet in guest machine WITHOUT A ROUTER! I have only a ADSL modem that connect to my ISP by a connection. How can i access to internet in guest machine?

thank you.
strangeelement

Post by strangeelement »

majid3612 wrote:Dear strangelement

Please guide me to access to internet in guest machine WITHOUT A ROUTER! I have only a ADSL modem that connect to my ISP by a connection. How can i access to internet in guest machine?

thank you.
What setup do you have? Host machine and guest machine? If you have a Windows XP host and a Linux guest, the instructions at http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21907 should work for you. Looking at your information you use a Windows 7 host and Ubuntu 9.04 guest. I haven't used Windows 7 so I am not familiar with configuring connection sharing and disabling the firewall on the VirtualBox connection. I see no reason why it would not work, provided you find how to enable connection sharing.

BUT, if all you're trying to achieve is accessing the Internet from the guest, NAT should work. The guest and host would not be able to communicate (at least not without complicated configuration) but to the guest it would be the same setup as if Ubuntu were the primary OS. I think VirtualBox uses an internal DHCP virtual router so it should be as simple as setting DHCP on the guest.
majid3612

Post by majid3612 »

strangeelement wrote:
majid3612 wrote:Dear strangelement

thank you.
What setup do you have? Host machine and guest machine? If you have a Windows XP host and a Linux guest, the instructions at http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21907 should work for you. Looking at your information you use a Windows 7 host and Ubuntu 9.04 guest. I haven't used Windows 7 so I am not familiar with configuring connection sharing and disabling the firewall on the VirtualBox connection. I see no reason why it would not work, provided you find how to enable connection sharing.

BUT, if all you're trying to achieve is accessing the Internet from the guest, NAT should work. The guest and host would not be able to communicate (at least not without complicated configuration) but to the guest it would be the same setup as if Ubuntu were the primary OS. I think VirtualBox uses an internal DHCP virtual router so it should be as simple as setting DHCP on the guest.

I have windows xp as host os and use windows server 2003 as guest os on virtualbox...
rjchapma
Guest OSses: Fedora 11

Post by rjchapma »

I'm experiencing a similar problem trying to get bridged network adapters running. I have a WinXP (32bit) host running VB 3.0.4 with a RHEL5 (64bit) guest OS. When using NAT the guest OS can see the outside network, however when switching to bridged network using the Intel Pro 1000 T server adapter type I get the following error when trying to start the VM

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-Intel(R) Prol /1000 GT Desktop Adapter' (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).
Unknown error creating VM (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).

Some history: when I first installed VB 3.0.4 I had a VMWare player installed and couldn't even choose to set up a bridged adapter. I uninstalled VMWare, VB, rebooted and reinstalled VB 3.0.4 and could at least choose a bridge - unfortunately I keep getting the above error. I've uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled VB numerous times now and it is still not working. When I change the adapter type to PC Net Fast III I get the following error:

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-Intel(R) Prol /1000 GT Desktop Adapter' (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).
Unknown error creating VM (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).

Any suggestions???
strangeelement

Post by strangeelement »

My guess would be a configuration item from VirtualBox that is not removed by uninstalling.

Revo Uninstaller may help on the problem. It's an uninstaller much like the Windows Add/remove programs that offers normal to ninja levels of wiping out an application's trace from your computer. At the highest level it will scan your whole computer for any leftover that may be left. Also it loads much faster.

My only basis for this guess is that re-installing generally resolves this problem. But at this point I think this is serious enough to be considered a bug. Maybe submitting a bug report would yield responses from someone on the VB team.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/