Vista 64 bit host?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jrc

Vista 64 bit host?

Post by jrc »

Your site suggests a 64 bit host is being 'worked on'. I cannot see any beta. Are there any plans to release VirtualBox for 64 bit Vista soon? What is your priority regarding 64 bit hosts?

Thanks
jrc
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

We'll support Linux 64 bits hosts in the next version. Vista 64 support will be added later as it's currently unstable.
maveri

How long does 'added later' mean?

Post by maveri »

sandervl wrote:We'll support Linux 64 bits hosts in the next version. Vista 64 support will be added later as it's currently unstable.
Are you meaning Virtualbox isn't stable on Vista 64 or that Vista 64 isn't stable?

Vista 64 is very stable - it has protection against unsigned drivers (but it can be bypassed by a registery hack if you really want to - 32 bit flavours I'm told can easily be set to allow unsigned drivers to run) - MS are pitching Vista 64 as the most secure and stable in their own Vista lineup.

Vmware already runs on Vista 64 bit (although there is a glitch in the install but it doesn't stop it running and you do need to turn off unsigned driver checking). In fact VM workstation 6 also runs on Vista 64 bit.

Virtualbox is a nice product - I find it more intuiative than vmware but it's starting to lag further behind the competition.

Giving people an idea as to how long (i.e. in months perhaps) is far more benefical than saying 'added later' - even if you give a granularity of a few months, it's better than nothing!

So - are we talking months away, 6 months+ or maybe more?
sandervl
Volunteer

Post by sandervl »

Of course I'm talking about VBox on Vista 64. A beta might be a month or so off. No guarantees of course.

And unlike VMWare it will be a complete 64 bits solution. (VMWare is a 32 bits app + 64 bits drivers) In case you care about such things. :)
maveri

Post by maveri »

sandervl wrote:Of course I'm talking about VBox on Vista 64. A beta might be a month or so off. No guarantees of course.

And unlike VMWare it will be a complete 64 bits solution. (VMWare is a 32 bits app + 64 bits drivers) In case you care about such things. :)
Fair enough - I guess I didn't quite read the sentance correctly :-)

In a month or so - no-one's going to hold you to a timeframe but that gives me a rough idea - thanks :-) if you had said 6 months I would start looking elsewhere - I know, it may not be 1 month or even 'that close' but at least it gives me an approximate idea - thanks for the heads up - much appreciated.

hmm - VMware are really stretching themselves then - M$ are also ramping up their offerings.

I reckon what's really needed is a non-fat host application.

Something that's just a very plain shell that allows other OS's to plug in.

It's a shame to base something like virtualbox on a linux or windows based OS - the 'ants pants' would be a real thin virtual machine that doesn't require an existing OS to be installed - not sure how feasible this would even be (does xen have something like this?).

I guess linux being free negates this, but it is a bit of a pain having to have an OS installed first before having a virtual machine on top - it would be nice to do away with the need for an underlining OS altogther.

I look forward to trying the Vista 64 bit host virtualbox virtual machine when it's ready.

:-)
maveri

any update on the Vista 64 bit supported version?

Post by maveri »

sandervl wrote:Of course I'm talking about VBox on Vista 64. A beta might be a month or so off. No guarantees of course.

I know a month or so was 'pie in the sky' stuff back in May when you made the quote about a possible 64 bit beta for Vista, but I'm wondering how's it looking for a late August / September release?

Anything possible before say November?
cliffgarner

64 bit VB

Post by cliffgarner »

It would be great if someone could give us a date. I've been looking elsewhere, but virtual box is still my choice. Scrapping my vista64 bit host is not an option, and I'm running out of time.
sandervl
Volunteer

Post by sandervl »

The upcoming 1.5.0 will support Vista64. Wait a few more days.
cliffgarner

Vista64

Post by cliffgarner »

Thank you. That's what I needed to hear.
Sarreq Teryx

Post by Sarreq Teryx »

sandervl wrote:The upcoming 1.5.0 will support Vista64. Wait a few more days.
I've just tried the installer released on friday, but it gives me the error message:

Code: Select all

This application only runs on Windows 2000 or above
is that why the link was taken down almost instantly?

update:
the copy of the installer on the server now still has the same problem.?can anyone tell me a way around it?
Bviper

Post by Bviper »

Unfortunately I'm having the same problem... trying to trick it to thinking I'm running win XP doesn't work either :lol:
ollip

Post by ollip »

Bviper wrote:Unfortunately I'm having the same problem... trying to trick it to thinking I'm running win XP doesn't work either :lol:
Same problem here (Vista ultimate x64) :( I was so looking forward for this release :?
Gargi

Post by Gargi »

Jepp, since there is the announcement in the 1.5 changelog:
Support for the 64-bit versions of Windows as host operating system has been added
Maybe they only had not linked it on the downloadpage yet? :)

Edit: Ups, I see, there is only one Windowsinstaller. But same here: Installer says, that the application will only run under win2000 or above (above should be vista I guess :) )

cu
Gargi
sandervl
Volunteer

Post by sandervl »

The 64 bits build is being uploaded right now. We found a last minute regression.
Gargi

Post by Gargi »

sandervl wrote:The 64 bits build is being uploaded right now. We found a last minute regression.
Ah okay, already thought it only could have been something like that. Hehehe... can't wait until work is over to get at home and to check it out :)

cu
Gargi