Unable to allocate and lock memory - error message

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
virtualtom

Unable to allocate and lock memory - error message

Post by virtualtom »

Hi.

These are my first steps with VB... ;)

I tried run VB under WinXP Pro SP2 and to install a Ubuntu 7.04 Alternate ISO. I have 2 GByte RAM, so I give the virtual machine 512 MByte RAM. During installation the following error appears:

Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM..

During installation there are always more than 1 GByte of free memory (physical RAM) availiable.

The installation works well with 256 MByte RAM. How can I allocate more RAM for this VM?

Thanks for help and suggestions.
--
Bye! Tom
JustDon

Post by JustDon »

I am having the EXACT same issue. I have tried to install PCLinux 2007 and Ubuntu 7.0.4 and I get the same error message - any solutions/suggestions??

I only have 384 MB of RAM and as such I allocate 256 for the Virtual Machine. I WAS dual booted (XP and Ubuntu) and was running VirtualMachine with Windows 2000. This is my first go with VirtualBox. :(
JustDon

Post by JustDon »

I just got this fixed. I had to designate LESS memory to VirtualBox not MORE. I had too much RAM designated to VB and VB could not "allocate and lock" that much. I cut the designated memory in half and it worked fine.