Possible to Run XP/Ubuntu Coherently?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
justaleaf

Possible to Run XP/Ubuntu Coherently?

Post by justaleaf »

Of the 2 OS's, I'd much rather that XP be the one to run natively for video apps and games. BUT I prefer operating in Linux for many other things.

This is what I'm looking for and would very much appreciate it if someone would tell me if it can be done:

-Completely coherent (Ubuntu runs simultaneously, no "box")
-Full screen (gnome-bar up top, windows bar at the bottom)
-Able to shut-down Ubuntu independantly without stopping Windows

That would be totally awesome, but I am sort of a newb to virtualbox.

Thanks!

-Garrett
nicamarvin

Post by nicamarvin »

yes you can do all of those things bro... :D virtual box is that cool
justaleaf

Post by justaleaf »

nicamarvin wrote:yes you can do all of those things bro... :D virtual box is that cool

Is there a guide for such a setup?

I read in the manual that "Seamless" mode works only with a Windows "Guest" machine, right now.

I have an Ubuntu "Guest". If it could be done manually though, I wouldn't hesitate to put in the time.

Advice appreciated!

-Garrett

Edit: It seems that my needs are a bit backwards. Most people prefer a Linux Host and a Windows Guest, while I need the reverse. I hope it is possible.
Ice Polar

Post by Ice Polar »

Hello,

Try set up a virtualbox with ubuntu on your xp. Install xming (a x-client for windows, look at http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/) on your xp and so you are driving your ubuntu-apps in a xp-window as if it is nothing.

At this moment i'm writing this post on my xp-box while the window drives the ubuntu-firefox browser...

Check the xming-notes were you find everything you need.

Give a post if trouble arise or you win the battle.

Ice