Guest Won't Release Mouse

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
grunt.stripe

Guest Won't Release Mouse

Post by grunt.stripe »

Hello,

This is my first post and I'm a Virtualbox newbie.

I'm running Vista Ultimate as the host and XP Pro as the guest. It all appears to work fine apart from the fact that whilst the virtual machine is running the host cannot regain mouse control. I am using a Logitech wireless mouse. The strange thing is when I first installed and setup VB it seemed to work fine. I don't know what I've done to mess up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: It's the same with a PS2 mouse.
terran.priest

Post by terran.priest »

I'm not the most experienced w/ VirtualBox, so maybe someone will have a better suggestion.

But, I think you would only want to check the box to 'enable' USB, you shouldn't have to specify the device to get it to work on the guest; at least not for the mouse.

By checking that box, you're telling the guest to 'capture' the mouse. You may have to do that for some of your other devices if you want, but not the mouse, it should work fine w/ only the 'enable usb' box is checked w/out any hardware specified.

ADDITIONALLY, the driver it's capturing from the host on your machine is called 'Logitech USB Receiver', giving me the impression you are probly using a wireless usb mouse. The VM is NOT going to send or receive wireless transmissions, only the host will.

Good luck.

I'm on a XP Pro XP2 Host w/ Vista 32bit, XP Pro XP2 & misc. Linux VM's. The mouse works fine on all of them; my mouse is USB. Logitech MX500
Terran Priest
Grey Bird

usb filter does permanently capture mouse

Post by Grey Bird »

I can confirm that making a usb filter permanently captures the mouse in the guest system. I created a filter for my usb trackball and it was captured into my Ubuntu guest and couldn't be accessed in my host system. The built-in touch pad still worked, and I was able to disable the filter, which allowed access in the host system. I later deleted the filter and the mouse works in both the host and guest system. :)
all that we see or seem
is but a dream, within a dream