Network setup with both Host Interface and NAT

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
koyi

Network setup with both Host Interface and NAT

Post by koyi »

Hi, I found out about Virtualbox in a Mac magazine and am trying it out on a Windows machine.

I am mainly using virtual machines for trying out OSes or doing experiments with various web technologies before putting them into production use. I am currently using the free version of VMware Server. The basic things that I would like to achieve are:
1. Access the Internet from the guest.
2. Enable host-guest communication.

I know that this can be done easily through a bridged connection as described in the documentation. But I would like to hide he guests from the outside world while being able to access them from the host. So I have come up with the following setup. Since I am inexperienced with network setup, please let me know if there are other options, too.

Host: Windows XP SP2
Guest: FreeBSD 6.2

1. I first created a host interface named "VirtualBox Host Interface 1", and attached this to Adapter 0 of the guest.
2. Then I enabled Adapter 1 on the guest, which is set to NAT.
3. When the virtual machine starts, VirtualBox Host Interface 1 gets IP: 169.254.154.40 subnet mask: 255.255.0.0.
4. I install FreeBSD as usual, configuring the interface lnc1 (Adapter 1) to use DHCP, while giving IP: 169.254.154.41 subnet mask: 255.255.0.0 to lnc0 (Adapter 0).

Well, it works without any problem so far. But I wonder if this is the right way to do thing. Please do give me advice if I have got something wrong.

alnuss

Post by alnuss »

hello,

I had the same problem and I could solve it with the help of your posting. thank you for this.

I think that your solution is correct. I applied a slightly different solution which I have described in my posting: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=6305#6305

Regards,
Alexander