[2.2] VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter not created

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: [2.2] VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter not created

Post by Perryg »

Open the VBox main program GUI and then go to file -> preferences and under the network add a host-only adapter there. Then it should be available for the guest.
Remember that the guest must be shutdown, not saved state and as always Windows host needs to be rebooted for changes to take effect.
nezlo
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by nezlo »

Thanks Perry, but I have done that numerous times. I get the same error as Coulr few post above. "Failed to create the host-only adapater"

I have no problem connecting on the Internet when I am using my guest OS which is XP SP3 on Vista64 host. I just need the "virtualhost adapater" to show on my host so I can bridge it with a new Ethernet card I installed.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Most unusual nezlo,

I have been seeing a few post lately about this. Please raise a topic at bugtracker (link is below my post)
Be sure to explain this and include your log file. You might also include the results of the following command:
Host terminal/command windows VBoxManage showvminfo <VM Name>. Replace <VM Name> with the actual name of the VM. Use "" if the name has a space in it.

Also please post here the report link and any resolve so others can benefit from this.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

nezlo wrote:I just need the "virtualhost adapater" to show on my host so I can bridge it with a new Ethernet card I installed.
Why do you need to do that? Can't you just use the normal bridging method supplied by VB, instead of the Windows method?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
m0rd0
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Linux, BSD, Windows

Post by m0rd0 »

I'm seeing this happen on 3.1.0 r55467. I try to add another host adaptor and I get "Failed to create the host-only network interface". Vbox manages to create one on install, but once installed its impossible for me to create one. I've tried deleting the existing adaptor and i get the same thing. I've run it as an admin and same deal. I've tried pretty much every iteration i can think of to resolve, or work around, this problem but nothing has made any difference. When I installed Vbox on an Ubuntu machine it allowed me to create multiple host-interfaces!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Host OS - Vista 32bit
  • VBox version - 3.1.0 r55467
  • Logs - Error not visible in any windows logs
ink

Post by ink »

Just fixed this for myself, hope it helps others having the same problem :

Control Panel > Add New Hardware > (New network adapter)
Have Disk > (point it to C:\Program Files\Sun\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netadp\VBoxNetAdp.inf)
Select > VirtualBox Host-only Ethernet Adapter > (Say OK to install the unsigned driver)

Apparently no need to reboot, so good luck all!
Spar
Primary OS: MS Windows 2003
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP

Post by Spar »

Here's another solution that works for me.
After a lot of uninstall, install of virtual box and still could not install the Host-only network adapter.
In the log file setupapi.log in C:\Windows\ , i have
#-011 Installing section [VBoxNetAdp.ndi] from "c:\windows\inf\oem47.inf".
#W366 An unsigned, incorrectly signed, or Authenticode(tm) signed file "c:\windows\inf\oem47.inf" for driver "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter" will be installed (Policy=Warn, user said ok). Error 1168: Element not found.
#-024 Copying file "c:\program files\sun\virtualbox\drivers\network\netadp\VBoxNetAdp.sys" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\VBoxNetAdp.sys".
#W362 An unsigned, incorrectly signed, or Authenticode(tm) signed file "c:\program files\sun\virtualbox\drivers\network\netadp\VBoxNetAdp.sys" for driver "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter" will be installed (Policy=Warn). Error 1168: Element not found.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
#I056 Coinstallers registered.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
#-011 Installing section [VBoxNetAdp.ndi.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\oem47.inf".
#I054 Interfaces installed.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Doing full install of "ROOT\NET\0000".
#I121 Device install of "ROOT\NET\0000" finished successfully.
#E154 Class installer failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

after that, i tried to uninstall my physiscal network card and try to install it again, and i had the same issue.
So I guessed it is a windows issue , not a virtual box issue, and i found this known problem :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937056

Solution is simple :
-Delete the REG_BINARY key 'CONFIG' from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network
And restart the computer.
Life is happy now
Hope it helps
bluedevil

Post by bluedevil »

first i tried uninstalling and installing the virtual box and tried to create a new host network adapter but it didn't work. then i installed vmware which created its own virtual adapters. now again i tried creating new adapter in virtual box and it worked.i refreshed my adapters in host and now the host only ethernet adapter was visible. i don't know how but it worked :D .
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Oh, no, you are not going to wake up an 8+ year old thread. This thread is long dead. Locking.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.