Cannot connect to network on Vista guest OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sup3rkirby
Location: A small town, in a small city, in the middle of nowhere

Cannot connect to network on Vista guest OS

Post by Sup3rkirby »

Hello everyone, I just started using VirtualBox and I want to say I am impressed. I have used MS Virtual PC and worked a little with VMWare.

But right now I seem to be having quite the problem. I installed Vista as a guest OS, but Vista cannot connect to a network. I have tried bridging my connection with a host interface and that has not worked, I have tried the NAT option and still no connection.

The best solution would be to have a basic tutorial for getting Vista online with VirtualBox.

Maybe I am just missing something, but it seems that VMWare and MS VirtualPC made networking easier, with the simple option of using the Host OS network connection. I thought that is what NAT would do, but there has yet to be even a network connection, none the less internet.
"Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespere?"
Sup3rkirby

Post by Sup3rkirby »

Well, after a few more futile attemps at making this work, it seems that if I can find the drivers or somehow get the networking drivers(for my ethernet card) onto my guest OS, then I can, or should be able to make it work.

I do not know, however, where the drivers are anyways.
"Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespere?"
Sup3rkirby

Post by Sup3rkirby »

^ ^ Bump ^ ^
terran.priest

Post by terran.priest »

if you already installed the virtualbox additions on your vista guest, see if there is a NIC driver installed in your device manager or 'network & sharing' dialog.

if not, install it by click on the host window for your vista VM, where it says 'devices' in the file menu.

click on 'install additions' which will load the ISO file for virtualbox additions to your cd in guest.

setup will auto-run from that, if it doe, HIT CANCEL.

add a device, when it asks for a driver location, browse to the virtual cd where the virtualbox additions ISO was loaded, and install driver from there.

i don't remember which directory it's in, but it's easy to find, only a few on that iso.

that will install an AMD NIC driver into ur Vista guest... good luck.
Terran Priest
Sup3rkirby

Post by Sup3rkirby »

terran, I appreciate your attempt to help, but it seems you left out a few important details that would be useful in my situation.

First of all, the 'NIC' driver you are talking about.... what would this be under in the device manager? "Base System Device" and "Ethernet Controler" are two devices listed under 'other' in the device manager. These two have driver issues(the ethernet one would be essential to my internet connectivity, but i'm not sure about the other one).

Now for installing a driver for my network driver. Where exactly did you find it on the CD? There is indeed a 'drivers' folder, but of the three folders in there, none of them contained a driver to install my "Ethernet Controler".

So what is the name of the driver I am looking for at least?

Also, I will note, even though this probably has nothing to do with anything here, but I added a new device, browsed from the list and the best thing I could find was the Microsoft Loopback Adapter, which I installed. Now I simply have limited connectivity, as I am simply connected to some type of internal network, with no signs of any bridge between my host pc and my guest pc.
redistributer

Post by redistributer »

I believe what he is referring to is the additions to virtual box. Once you have installed vb you have done the first step, then you have installed your os, your doing good now all you need to do is install the additional features.

When your vb instance is up and running, hit the host key to get your mouse back from windows. Once you have your mouse back on the menu at the top you will see three things

Machine, Devices, Help

click devices and the last option is Install Guest Additions, click that.
Now the guest additions are mounted, go back to windows and open up my computer. Now you should see a new drive that looks like a memory stick device, it's name will be VBOXADDITIONS_1.X.X_XXXXXX the X being the version your using. Double click that and an installer will start up.

Follow the installer to the end reboot, and then let us know if your network video, sound etc etc etc are not working.

-red
Sup3rkirby

Post by Sup3rkirby »

redistributer wrote:I believe what he is referring to is the additions to virtual box. Once you have installed vb you have done the first step, then you have installed your os, your doing good now all you need to do is install the additional features.

When your vb instance is up and running, hit the host key to get your mouse back from windows. Once you have your mouse back on the menu at the top you will see three things

Machine, Devices, Help

click devices and the last option is Install Guest Additions, click that.
Now the guest additions are mounted, go back to windows and open up my computer. Now you should see a new drive that looks like a memory stick device, it's name will be VBOXADDITIONS_1.X.X_XXXXXX the X being the version your using. Double click that and an installer will start up.

Follow the installer to the end reboot, and then let us know if your network video, sound etc etc etc are not working.

-red
Ok. Let me make this even more clear now.

I knew he was talking about the additions, but he was noting to not install them, but get the networking driver from the iso file. The problem is, there is no networking driver in that iso.

I installed the virtualbox additions reguardless, and this has made no difference, only allowing me to have pointer intergration now. Still no networking. I have sound and video, and both have worked fine by simply configuring the settings for my virtual pc(enabling audio) and for some reason or another, it seems that getting an internet connection is not some simple process.

With Microsoft's VirtualPC, all you need to do is simply enable an option and it routes your host connection to your guest os, so you will be connected to the network just as you are on your host. I thought enabling networking with NAT would be the same, but it is not however.

Is there no tutorial on how to set up a network connection with VirtualBox? If there is, I would certainly like a link to that so I can give that a try.
Sup3rkirby

Post by Sup3rkirby »

^ Bump ^
rchennau

Post by rchennau »

The driver you may be looking for is under the folder AMD_PCNET.

I had the exact same problem as described in this thread.

1. Eject/unmount any media you may have in your cd/dvd drive.
2. From the device menu click install guest additions
3. Vista should see the new media and assign a drive letter.
4. Open device manager (right click on my computer, click properties)
5. Find Ethernet controller, right click and select properties
6. Select update driver, browser for driver (for me it was D:\AMD_PCNET)
7. Watch windows work (for once).

I don't gurantee this to work. I am running Ubuntu X64 so your mileage may vary. I have the intel ipw3945 wireless card. Oddly enough bluetooth worked right after installation...
nashjc

Post by nashjc »

When I tried the suggestion just made above, it did not seem to work. Came back and restarted the VBox-Vista just now and net is there. Blame it on Windoze!

It looks like VBox is using a faked AMD interface no matter what real hardware is.

This msg really just to let folks know that things are working. A lot of posts on fora such as this just "end" without letting folks know if there was a resolution, and I'd like other readers to know it does appear that the recipe is OK.

JN
nunjabusiness

Post by nunjabusiness »

The method I have used both on Vista and Longhorn is actually to mount the guest additions iso as a CD, then remove the failed network adapter in Device Manager. Then when you reboot it sees the new device and you tell it to search the "CD" iso and it installs EVERY TIME.