Running MapleStory in VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
roryt2000
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Running MapleStory in VirtualBox

Post by roryt2000 »

I'm trying to get the game MapleStory to work via a Virtual Machine so I can log on to multiple accounts at once on a single computer, and up until now the only one that can do it is VMware. The problem is that the program itself is so unstable that it won't run the game for more than 10-15 minutes without crashing. This is a problem that a good number of people are having so I'm guessing it's the VM itself. I recently heard that VirtualBox now supports Direct3D (which is what was keeping Maple from running before), so I decided to give it a try once again. I installed VirtualBox, set everything up properly, installed Wined3d (like it says here: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15436) and under dxdiag I could see that Direct3D was enabled. Unfortunately upon running MapleStory, I just got a black screen and was then returned to the desktop with no error message. I'm wondering if I installed d3d correctly, because it seems like it should be working now. Is there more to it than stated in that thread? Can anyone who has enabled Direct3D support download MapleStory and see if it works? Any help is appreciated.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Re: Running MapleStory in VirtualBox

Post by TerryE »

No Vbox dows not support Direct3D. It supports the OpenGL API. Very different. What you are trying to do is still bleeding edge / not yet possible.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
Mr_no_one
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Post by Mr_no_one »

TerryE wrote:No Vbox dows not support Direct3D. It supports the OpenGL API. Very different. What you are trying to do is still bleeding edge / not yet possible.
It IS possible to run NEXON's MapleStory on VirtualBox, just download the wined3d.iso, mount it on Host system to Guest, install on guest in "Safe mode" then restart your guest system. Now you can check your direct3D status by go into "Run" and type "dxdiag".
I'm playing MapleStory on my guest system atm, and it took me like 2min to get it to work..

Sorry for my bad english, any questions just pm me! (you probably don't need to)

Links:
urahara454
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows

Post by urahara454 »

I don't know what you mean by guest, and I installed wined3d, nothing happened, at all, I went to dxdiag and the 3d acceleration section, those 3 lines all say inactive or something like that, I couldn't change them
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Not needed any more.

Read the manual howto enable 3d in the guest.
jacklin213

Post by jacklin213 »

can anyone help me im doing the same thing as the guy did but it says that the files that WINED3D downloaded are too old . When you use the exe. file it does update it but not to the latest version .I had to use DLL fixer to fix the file but when i run maple launcher it still says "cant run this on a virtual machine"
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Read the manual howto install guest additions and activate 3d. Nothing more has to be done.
jacklin213

Post by jacklin213 »

accually a lot more needs to be done nothings working for me direct3d cant not be enabled dxdiag show this message :Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.
naemrr
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: ubuntu natty, windows 2k3, windows xp pro, windows vista x86 & x64, debian squeeze

Post by naemrr »