2.1.0 41146 Win_x86 - Install Wizard Ended Prematurely :-O

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

Please provide me the log files mentioned in this article:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/MSI_Logging

Thanks!
misha

Post by misha »

S2K wrote:
misha wrote:for all seeing the install issues, could you do the following:
1. in the registry set the "REG_DWORD LogLevel" value under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" to 4800FFFF hexadecimal value - this will enable the verbous setupapi logging
2. move the %windir%/inf/setupapi.dev.log and %windir%/inf/setupapi.app.log - for Vista or %windir%/setupapi.log - for XP to some backup folder not to mix the installation info with the one of the previous installs
3. run virtualbox installer with verbose logging: in the command line type:
msiexec /i <vbox_installer_name>.msi /l*xv <path_to_the_logfile_to_be_created>
4. once the installation is completed (with the failure) please attach the newly generated setupapi log files (%windir%/inf/setupapi.dev.log and %windir%/inf/setupapi.app.log - for Vista or %windir%/setupapi.log - for XP) and installer log file (the one specified in the <path_to_the_logfile_to_be_created> in step#3) to the bug tracker: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1730

This should help us to figure out the problem.
Hi, I just did what you suggested, but I deinstalled version 2.0.6 first. And now with above actions it installs without problems. Maybe the installation and deinstallation of 2.0.6 resolved this. If you're interested in the logfiles, I still have them.

But unfortunately when starting 2.1.0 now gives me a new message about the xml file.

I removed the file C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml (I think it was remnant of the previous install).

Now it works.
Hm, interesting,

Yes, I think the "succeeded install" logs would be useful.
Could you also post those you've backed up (unless you deleted them :)
Unless the setupapi logging was completely switched off (which is not the case for Vista by default) they should contain the info on your previous (failed) installs.
You might strip them and post only the last parts of them concerning the latest installations that were failing.

BTW, the failing installs, did they occur when you install on top of the previous installation or you deleted the previous installation fist? or in both cases?
Also how many times did you try to install before succeeding? I'm actually interested whether it was a second install that succeeded, or it failed more than once?
Surye

Post by Surye »

misha wrote:
S2K wrote:
misha wrote:for all seeing the install issues, could you do the following:
1. in the registry set the "REG_DWORD LogLevel" value under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" to 4800FFFF hexadecimal value - this will enable the verbous setupapi logging
2. move the %windir%/inf/setupapi.dev.log and %windir%/inf/setupapi.app.log - for Vista or %windir%/setupapi.log - for XP to some backup folder not to mix the installation info with the one of the previous installs
3. run virtualbox installer with verbose logging: in the command line type:
msiexec /i <vbox_installer_name>.msi /l*xv <path_to_the_logfile_to_be_created>
4. once the installation is completed (with the failure) please attach the newly generated setupapi log files (%windir%/inf/setupapi.dev.log and %windir%/inf/setupapi.app.log - for Vista or %windir%/setupapi.log - for XP) and installer log file (the one specified in the <path_to_the_logfile_to_be_created> in step#3) to the bug tracker: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1730

This should help us to figure out the problem.
Hi, I just did what you suggested, but I deinstalled version 2.0.6 first. And now with above actions it installs without problems. Maybe the installation and deinstallation of 2.0.6 resolved this. If you're interested in the logfiles, I still have them.

But unfortunately when starting 2.1.0 now gives me a new message about the xml file.

I removed the file C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml (I think it was remnant of the previous install).

Now it works.
Hm, interesting,

Yes, I think the "succeeded install" logs would be useful.
Could you also post those you've backed up (unless you deleted them :)
Unless the setupapi logging was completely switched off (which is not the case for Vista by default) they should contain the info on your previous (failed) installs.
You might strip them and post only the last parts of them concerning the latest installations that were failing.

BTW, the failing installs, did they occur when you install on top of the previous installation or you deleted the previous installation fist? or in both cases?
Also how many times did you try to install before succeeding? I'm actually interested whether it was a second install that succeeded, or it failed more than once?
For me, 2.1.0 was the first version I've ever installed, and it has failed about 10 times now (I've been trying stuff).
misha

Post by misha »

Surye: could you post %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log and %windir%\inf\setupapi.app.log (for vista) or %windir%\setupapi.log (for XP) to http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1730 or anywhere else?
Surye

Post by Surye »

misha wrote:Surye: could you post %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log and %windir%\inf\setupapi.app.log (for vista) or %windir%\setupapi.log (for XP) to http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1730 or anywhere else?
Already did so this morning :) I'm quite interested in getting this working. Also, I'm installing the 64bit version, I just noticed this thread is about the 32bit installer :oops:
misha

Post by misha »

Surye wrote:
misha wrote:Surye: could you post %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log and %windir%\inf\setupapi.app.log (for vista) or %windir%\setupapi.log (for XP) to http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1730 or anywhere else?
Already did so this morning :) I'm quite interested in getting this working. Also, I'm installing the 64bit version, I just noticed this thread is about the 32bit installer :oops:
Could you post the setupapi.dev.log as well?
The setupapi.app.log you uloaded does not seem informative btw :(
Have you set the "REG_DWORD LogLevel" value under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" to 4800FFFF hexadecimal value - to enable the verbose setupapi logging (as I mentioned in a previous comment)?
rodspade

Post by rodspade »

I had a 1.6.x version installed. I uninstalled, then tried 2.1.0 twice. Each time, it failed near the end of installation, then rolled back. Win XP Pro SP3. I uploaded setupapi.log to ticket 1730.
w48p8085

Post by w48p8085 »

I have the same problem on Windows XP (32 bit). 2.0.6 installs fine but the installation of 2.1.0 fails. I turned logging on and see the following errors:

setupapi.log:

#E367 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\VBoxNetFlt_08C78E964D62D02D7CF66CCEDC27C5B1FFD50ABE\VBoxNetFlt_m.cat" for will be installed (Policy=Warn, user said ok). Error 0x800b0110: The certificate is not valid for the requested usage.
[2008/12/20 16:48:19 2184.1161 Driver Install]
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): sun_vboxnetflt
#-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsiExec.exe -Embedding 1C313FC2F731708BADDD9F60A2D0F5B1 M Global\MSI0000
#W059 Selecting best compatible driver failed. Error 0xe0000228: There are no compatible drivers for this device
Surye

Post by Surye »

misha wrote:
Surye wrote:
Have you set the "REG_DWORD LogLevel" value under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" to 4800FFFF hexadecimal value - to enable the verbose setupapi logging (as I mentioned in a previous comment)?
It doesn't seem to be creating a setupapi.dev.log, only a setupapi.app.log. And I did set that key.
majatt

Post by majatt »

I'm having the same problem, I've set the key and run the commmand but only the log file I specify is created.
Surye wrote:
misha wrote:
Surye wrote: Already did so this morning :) I'm quite interested in getting this working. Also, I'm installing the 64bit version, I just noticed this thread is about the 32bit installer :oops:
It doesn't seem to be creating a setupapi.dev.log, only a setupapi.app.log. And I did set that key.
gaborbay

Post by gaborbay »

I have the same problem on Windows XP (32 bit).
I was able to get past this issue by:
1. completely uninistall vbox
2. rename/remove .virtualbox folder
3. followed a suggestion from a previous post:
Hostinterface list doesnt update
removed my old interfaces using this trick : http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/51 ... ag=nl.e101

Hope this helps
HellBoyz77

Post by HellBoyz77 »

Same problem with Windows XP 32bit Service Pack 3.
hannesl

There is a simple solution

Post by hannesl »

The problem seems to be caused by obsolete drivers being left from previous releases.

1. Uninstall any previous release of virtualbox
2. Scan Windows for .INF files containing the text "VBox host drivers" and delete them.
3. Install version 2.1.0-41146
4. Enjoy your success
HellBoyz77

Re: There is a simple solution

Post by HellBoyz77 »

hannesl wrote:The problem seems to be caused by obsolete drivers being left from previous releases.

1. Uninstall any previous release of virtualbox
2. Scan Windows for .INF files containing the text "VBox host drivers" and delete them.
3. Install version 2.1.0-41146
4. Enjoy your success
Tried it, but is does not work. The installation create 2 oem files with vbox drivers. oem27 for network drivers and oem28 for usb drivers (may change for other pc)

The problem is with Networking drivers, if you try to install without this feature the installation works correctly.

I checked for hidden hardware ragarding the network and not find anything useful ...
The MAZZTer
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Chromium OS, Windows

Post by The MAZZTer »

First time I tried to install 2.1.0 over 2.0.6 it rolled back too for no apparent reason.

I just reinstalled and it worked fine that time.