Windows 2003 Server [Host Networking]

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
marky

Windows 2003 Server [Host Networking]

Post by marky »

Help mee..

I'm using Windows 2003 Server as host now, and the guest is Ubuntu 6.06 Server. Well, i've read in forums that i have to use Host Interface in order to connect the VM and the host.. but.... it doesn't work :( I've tried several ways :
- Configure the IP address inside Linux.. no luck.
- Configure the IP address inside Linux and Host using the same address.. no luck too.

Oh, and i only have one Network card here.

Can anybody help me? :(

PS : (I've tried Linux as host and Windows as guest and they can connect each other.. eventhough the DSL won't work but no problem)
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

I'm not sure if you can bridge the TAP device and your network card in Windows 2003 like in XP and up. Did you follow the suggestions in the user manual?

If Win2k3 is like Windows 2000, then you're out of luck right now. We have plans to change the host interface networking in the future, but don't hold your breath.
marky

Post by marky »

It can't bridge them like WindowsXP.. the only way is route but i really don't understand that. Also i've tried Intnet the NIC via modifyvm but no luck.. but overall it's very good.
marky

:(

Post by marky »

Arrghh.. this network problem makes me grazy :cry:

Somehow i managed to have the host and guest communicated. I installed the guest (Ubuntu) and had these settings :
- eth0 on guest is 192.168.4.252
- VirtualBox Adapter on Host (i named it "Linux") is 192.168.4.253
- Local Area Connection 192.168.4.254

My Ubuntu can talk to Win2003 using 192.168.4.253 but not 192.168.4.254 but that's not a big problem. After success to make them communicate (finally!!) i connect to internet using DSL on host... and... AAAAHHH !!! :cry: they don't know each other again....

What's going on???? In order to make them communicate i have to reinstall the guest (which is for the n-time :x )
redflow

Post by redflow »

That mean does not work, unlike virtualpc,

You have to establish a bridge network, but when I tried follow the manual, the vbox crashed, so i give it up. so my guest and host run all alone, don't know each other like you.

anybody know the details?
Yogo

Post by Yogo »

You could try to install Routing and Remote access on the 2003 Server... its pretty easy ... when the R&RA window comes up, right click the server's name and choose to configure R&RA, then choose custom config, and then select Local Routing option only ... let me know how it goes..