VM VirtualBox Keeps Freezing Up

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
FSUKXAZ

VM VirtualBox Keeps Freezing Up

Post by FSUKXAZ »

I'm having issues with Oracle VM Virtualbox freezing up on me. Initially the computer was giving me other issues due to low memory. Over the past 3 months, I went through the process of getting new work computer and re-downloaded everything. The new computer is a Microsoft Surface Pro, Windows 11, intel Core i7 chip, 32GB RAM, 1TB hard drive. The VM works much faster now that I have more memory. The VM worked better for a couple of weeks but still froze up although it was less frequently. Now the VM is freezing up again way more often. I can't figure out why and it's preventing me from doing my job.

VirtualBox Version 7.0.6 r155176 (Qt5.15.2)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM VirtualBox Keeps Freezing Up

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
FSUKXAZ

Post by FSUKXAZ »

Here is the log file
Attachments
rc_web-2023-05-23-14-36-00.zip
Log File
(37.83 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry, I forgot about this one!

The VM has some interesting activity regarding video modes, which may be because of the ancient Guest Additions. 4.3.12 might be a bit long in the tooth. Back up the VM, then try uninstalling the GAs and installing 7.0.6's GAs.

If that does not fix the seizing, please provide a new log, taking note of the wall clock times when you started the VM and when every seize-up occurs. Post the times, too.
FSUKXAZ

Post by FSUKXAZ »

I don't know what Guest Additions are, where to get the latest ones, and how to install them. Any guidance would be appreciated.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

FSUKXAZ

Post by FSUKXAZ »

Ok, I completed that task. Thus far today, the VM is running and not freezing up. Yay! Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.