Windows 98SE VM Not Working After Moving to New Windows 11 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TwilightSentinel

Windows 98SE VM Not Working After Moving to New Windows 11 Host

Post by TwilightSentinel »

Hello,

I have a Windows 98SE VM that is working fine on a 4th Gen i5, Windows 10 Pro PC, but is not working properly when moved to a new 12th Gen i5, Windows 11 Home PC. The VM will boot, but explorer crashes and DLL error messages are reported. I copied the .Virtualbox folder and VirtualBox VM folders from the Win10 host to the Win11 host so VM settings should be identical(I also verified it). Both hosts are running 7.0.8 r156879 and latest guest additions package installed. I tried doing a clean install of 98SE on a new VM, but it also had problems during the install and never made it to the point of being able to boot. I suspect the problem has something to do with how memory is being handled, but am not sure what to do about it. I made sure that the Memory Integrity setting is disabled in Defender, disabled Defender, tried adding and removing Windows Hypervisor Platform and Virtual Machine Platform form the Windows Feature list, but they either made no difference or cause bigger problems like BSOD on boot. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 98SE VM Not Working After Moving to New Windows 11 Host

Post by mpack »

See the last few messages of the Win98 tutorial. See viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9918#p532314.
TwilightSentinel

Post by TwilightSentinel »

Thank you, the patch worked immediately. I actually came across a thread referencing that earlier, but saw a bunch of comments that it was only for Ryzen and not needed for Intel so I didn't pursue it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

TwilightSentinel wrote:a bunch of comments [sadid] that it was only for Ryzen and not needed for Intel
Probably true at the time of those comments. AFAIK it isn't needed for Intel processors up to i9/gen10 (which is what I have, and I run Win9x just fine). Beyond that it may be needed. Not fully nailed down yet, but if you have an uber modern Intel CPU and you get the crash with Win9x, then this is probably the cause.