VirtualBox 7 fails but 6 works

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bmonty

VirtualBox 7 fails but 6 works

Post by Bmonty »

I have tried 7.0.0 and 7.0.8 and have the same experience with both. I have run the install as admin and run virtualbox as admin. I have tried moving out the various guests I have but nothing allows the app to start. I haven't found anything similar on my searching for this particular error.

Any thoughts on how I can successfully migrate from 6 to 7?
Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.

The application will now terminate.

Completely failed to instantiate CLSID_VirtualBox: ERROR_SERVICE_REQUEST_TIMEOUT/0x8007041d.

Result Code:ERROR_SERVICE_REQUEST_TIMEOUT/0x8007041d (0X8007041D)
Component:VirtualBoxClientWrap
Interface:IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox 7 fails but 6 works

Post by scottgus1 »

1. Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
  2. Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
  3. Reboot again.
  4. If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
  5. Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
Note that 7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, and graphics had a code change. If you must have your present VMs in proper working order for important operations, you might want to keep your host on 6.1. Try a test host for 7.0, or consider cloning your whole host drive to a different hard disk then switch disks and try 7.0 on the cloned host disk.
Bmonty

Post by Bmonty »

scottgus1 wrote:
  1. Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
  2. Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
  3. Reboot again.
  4. If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
  5. Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
Note that 7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, and graphics had a code change. If you must have your present VMs in proper working order for important operations, you might want to keep your host on 6.1. Try a test host for 7.0, or consider cloning your whole host drive to a different hard disk then switch disks and try 7.0 on the cloned host disk.
I tried this and it didn't make a difference. I decided to try a local account. When I tried that it complained about vcruntime140_1.dll missing. I tried reinstalling virtualbox and still the same error. Went to microsoft and downloaded the runtime and it worked. Logged back in to my microsoft account - and it works!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you're up and running! This is the first time I've heard of local vs online accounts making a difference. I have heard of accounts on a Windows OS going bad, but not have yet heard of a bad account interfering with Virtualbox installation. Will keep this in mind.