VirtualBox openSUSE Leap 15.0 VM login loop problem.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Russell1

VirtualBox openSUSE Leap 15.0 VM login loop problem.

Post by Russell1 »

Host Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 ( Home ) Edition.
Host architecture: 64-bit; x64-based.
Host memory: 6.00 GB ( 5.75 usable ).
Guest Operating Systems: OPenSuse-Leap 15.0 Linux virtual machine ( via VirtualBox Version Version 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2) ).
Guest architecture: OPenSuse 64-bit.
Guest memory: 1024 MB.

For the past three days, my VirtualBox openSUSE Leap 15.0 Linux virtual machine has not been booting into the Graphical User Interface ( GUI, that is Dolphin ), as it has been doing previously. Instead, I get a login loop. At that login prompt, if I enter "root" as the username, and my root password, I am unable to log in. However, if I shut down the virtual machine, restart it, and select the "Advanced Options For openSUSE Leap 15.0" login option, and then select the first option on the next list of items, then I am able to log in to the virtual machine. Three attachments have been included with this post for your consideration. The first attachment shows the message of the day ( i.e., MOTD ), including a message about no space being available on the device. The second attachment shows the output of the "df" command. Notice that "/dev/sda2" has no space available, but "/dev/sda3" has space available. So it appears to me that there *is* space available on my openSUSE virtual machine. After searching the Internet, I located some information regarding the possibility of a deleted process causing the login loop problem, hence the third attachment. What do I need to do to stop the login loop and once again have my virtual machine boot into the GUI? Also, is there a *safe* way to increase the disk space on my virtual machine without crashing it or losing data? Thank you for your help.
Attachments
VirtualBox_OPenSuse_15_05_2023_08_27_49_3.png
VirtualBox_OPenSuse_15_05_2023_08_27_49_3.png (7.07 KiB) Viewed 987 times
VirtualBox_OPenSuse_15_05_2023_08_24_41_2.png
VirtualBox_OPenSuse_15_05_2023_08_24_41_2.png (11.9 KiB) Viewed 987 times
VirtualBox_OPenSuse_15_05_2023_08_23_28_1.png
VirtualBox_OPenSuse_15_05_2023_08_23_28_1.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 987 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox openSUSE Leap 15.0 VM login loop problem.

Post by scottgus1 »

Dev/sda2 appears to be where the OS is, and does appear to be out of space. Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen if there is not enough free disk space to start the desktop environment. Maybe Suse and OpenSuse suffer from the same problem.

The solution is to log on text-only and delete stuff until the desktop environment can start. Web-search how to fix this in an Ubuntu PC and apply the steps to the VM.

How to Resize a Drive can show you how to increase the Virtualbox drive file, and offer suggestions on resizing the partitions inside the VM.
Russell1

Post by Russell1 »

Scotttgus1, at about 01:00 a.m. this morning, I had deleted about 100 ".html" files, and all of the "/dev/sda2" items associated with the output of the "df" command increased from zero to 16 Gib. Now, at about 10:09 a.m. later this morning, after having deleted a number of header ( i.e., ".h" ) files, the "df" command output shows zero again for all of the "/dev/sda2" items. There is something strange going on with my openSUSE virtual machine. Any suggestions? Please see the attachment.
Attachments
VirtualBox_OPenSuse_16_05_2023_10_05_03_1.png
VirtualBox_OPenSuse_16_05_2023_10_05_03_1.png (12.13 KiB) Viewed 857 times
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

You should ask in a Suse forum, your problem has zero relation to vbox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not certain of the fix to the 0-left problem, towo2099's suggestion is the way to go there.

But do look at the Resize tutorial, it may have a way to get around the 0-left problem.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, if you look closely at the output of the df command, you'll notice that /dev/sda2 never gets really full. The ~800 MB are probably a safety margin of the Linux OS to keep the system runnable, so that the root user can clean up the file system from within the shell. Perhaps you can use the lsof command to find out which process is creating the new files.
Russell1

Post by Russell1 »

After reading the tutorial for resizing a disk in a VirtualBox virtual machine, posted by scottgus1, the following attachment is included for your consideration. I need to know what the next step is, so as not to damage anything. Thank you for your help.
Attachments
tempsnip_GParted_1.png
tempsnip_GParted_1.png (93.26 KiB) Viewed 567 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Russell1 wrote:so as not to damage anything.
A backup of the VM in its pre-Gparted'd state, is the sure-fire fix for if something is done wrong. Backups should be ubiquitous in modern computing. (Best backup is a FC-verified copy of the shut-down VM folder and any disks residing outside the VM folder, not anything involving a snapshot.)
Russell1 wrote:I need to know what the next step is
That would be a Gparted question, best asked on the Gparted forums. We don't officially provide other-than-Virtualbox support on this forum. Though it's likely that many folks here know how to use Gparted, you may need to rely on those backups just in case.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:Though it's likely that many folks here know how to use Gparted
I know how to use GParted, but ...

One possible basic idea is to move the partitions /dev/sda4 (linux-swap) and /dev/sda3 (xfs) to the end of the virtual disk and then to enlarge the /dev/sda2 (btrfs) partition. BUT: I don't know what you have to do in GRUB and/or the Linux installation afterwards to make it really work ...

Additionally, there may be a totally different strategy if the btrfs file system provides some kind of logical volumes consisting of multiple partitions ...
Russell1

Post by Russell1 »

As of this evening, there was no way for me to increase the size of "/dev/sda2," for example, in GParted, so I decided to use all of the unallocated disk space to create a new disk device ( i.e., "/dev/sda5" ). How do I uninstall Gparted on my VirtualBox OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 Linux virtual machine, so that I can log in and decide how to use the new disk device? When I just tried to uninstall GParted, I received a warning that if it was uninstalled, then I would no longer be able to install VirtualBoxGuestAdditions, for example. Thank you for your help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't understand how Gparted and Guest Additions could be connected.
Russell1 wrote: 10. Jun 2023, 00:04 When I just tried to uninstall GParted, I received a warning that if it was uninstalled, then I would no longer be able to install VirtualBoxGuestAdditions, for example.
What was the exact message, and what was its source? (Sounds a bit like you may have tried to delete the VM's whole CD drive.)
Russell1 wrote: 10. Jun 2023, 00:04 How do I uninstall Gparted on my VirtualBox OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 Linux virtual machine
Uninstalling Gparted from the OpenSUSE OS is not necessary. Do you mean, how do I get the VM to stop booting into Gparted? If so, remove the Gparted ISO from the VM's CD drive.