USB stick is empty in vm guest xp

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gilberto

USB stick is empty in vm guest xp

Post by gilberto »

Hello,

Hello, I can see my usb stick in the Explorer of my Host Windows 10 under Windows C: and also in the Explorer of my guest vm xp.

But despite there being files and folders on the removable disk (usb), the usb is completely empty and shows 0 bytes in the vm xp explorer.

What does this mean?

Thanks in advance.
With kind regards.
gilberto

Can you solve this issue?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: USB stick is empty in vm guest xp

Post by mpack »

USB devices can't be shared, so if you can see it in the host then that explains why you see nothing in the guest.

What you seem to want is shared folders, in which case that is what you should use. See the Guest Additions discussion in the user manual. Shared folders solve many of the persistent problems people have with USB drives.
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

My first guess is that the USB drive you have uses a GPT partitioning scheme, if your XP guest is a 32 bit OS then this is why it can't see it. If your USB disk is over 2 TB in size, then it is likely using a GPT partition system.

In any case, since you CAN see it on the host, I would share it on the host as a shared folder under the guests settings in VB and pick it up on the XP guest that way.

I have a vague recollection of a driver that would allow XP to access GPT drives, but as I recall it did not work worth a dang and caused more problems than it solved. This may have been only for 32 bit Windows 7 and 8.
gilberto

Post by gilberto »

Thanks for the replies.

Wat ik dan niet begrijp is dat er toch in "Deze computer "een cd -dvd player en een removable disk zijn afgebeeld in de gast vm.
Ook in de tab instellingen van de vm in de linkerkolom staat in de lijst de optie USB aangeduid.
Is de "removable disk" de usb stick?

Er zijn twee bestanden in de map DOWNLOADS van WINDOWS 10 : de NVIDEA -307.90- Desktop-XP-32 bit (driver) en de drivermax (stuurprogramma), die met een geel question mark in the Device Manager bij "Other" van de guest vm staan aangeduid, en opnieuw moet worden geïnstalleerd.

Ik heb deze 2 drivers gedownload en ik wil deze nu installeren in "Apparaatbeheer" van de vmguest bij "Other".
Want updaten werkt niet voor deze 2 drivers in het apparaatbehher.

In de uitrolmenu van "Devices" staat tweemaal bij de shared folders "Bidirectioneel"' aangestipt.
Als ik de 2 bestanden in de map DOWNLOADS van de host kopieer, kan ik die dan plakken in een nieuwe map in de vm guest Verkenner?

Trouwens hoe maak je een nieuwe map in de gast vm ? In Windows 10 is dat gewoon klikken met de rechtse muisknop en in de contextmenu staar "Nieuw" . Maar hoe kan ik een nieuwe map maken in de guest vm xp pro sp3 ?

Graag uw hulp hierbij.

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards.

gilberto
gilberto

Opnieuw zwart scherm

Post by gilberto »

Hello

I tried again to install the " Guest Addition CD image " in the "Devices" drop-down menu in the Virtual Manager, after changing the video memory from 16MB to 120MB.
And it was the same song again.

The welcome screen came up and then the loading of the windows files stopped with a black screen as a result.

There are 2 files in the device manager with a yellow exclamation mark at "Other" in the list.
Base System Device and Video Controller.

I downloaded the 2 drivers named "drivermac" for Base System Device and NVIDIA

They are 2 drivers: drivermac and NVIDIA_307.90. Desktop_XP_32 bit (a zip file).

The problem is that Google can't work in the guest vm. It only shows the web pages and then it stops when I try to open a web page.

"Shared Folders" also doesn't work, because if the Guest Additions cd-image tool isn't installed, you can't work with the Shared Folders option.

But what I do see is that in the Virtual Manager on the right side under the details that under the "Storage" the CD/DVD player, after the black screen is now loaded with the Guest Additions CD image. Before the black screen appeared, the CD/DVD player read "Empty".
What does this mean?
Thanks in advance.
With kind regards.
gilberto
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You have several problems now:
gilberto wrote:my guest vm xp.
gilberto wrote:I tried again to install the " Guest Addition CD image "
The welcome screen came up and then the loading of the windows files stopped with a black screen as a result.
If you're running Virtualbox 7.0.8, then the bundled Guest Additions 7.0.8 need to be switched. 7.0.8 GAs has a bug in graphics drivers for XP VMs. 7.0.6 GAs or the GAs in the test builds have been reported to work.

gilberto wrote:There are 2 files in the device manager with a yellow exclamation mark at "Other" in the list.
Base System Device and Video Controller.

I downloaded the 2 drivers named "drivermac" for Base System Device and NVIDIA

They are 2 drivers: drivermac and NVIDIA_307.90. Desktop_XP_32 bit (a zip file).
You don't need to do this. These are host video drivers, and the VM will never see the host hardware. The yellow marks are for the VM "hardware" which working GAs has the drivers for.

gilberto wrote:Google can't work in the guest vm.
XP's internet capabilities are woefully inadequate and out-of-date for modern internet. This channel is a no-go.

gilberto wrote:I can see my usb stick in the Explorer of my Host Windows 10 under Windows C: and also in the Explorer of my guest vm xp.
How exactly did you see this? Did they both have the same drive letter? If so, that's not a positive identification. How did you get the USB drive to appear in the VM's File Explorer?
gilberto

Post by gilberto »

Hello,

Thank you kindly for the help. I have uninstalled the virtualbox exp and I now have the virtualbox 7.0.8 installed. I still have several games on windows 95 CD's lying in the cupboard.
But I can't open the oracle virtual extension pack 7.0.8 with internet explorer, despite it being an internet explorer file. When I double-click, a pop-up menu of Internet explorer appears, but it does not work when I click "open". Do I need to use Microsoft Edge to open and install this file? Get your advice on this.
Thanks in advance.
gilberto

gilberto :?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

gilberto wrote: I can't open the oracle virtual extension pack 7.0.8 with internet explorer, despite it being an internet explorer file.
The Extension Pack is not an Internet Explorer file. Windows has no native app for opening the Extension Pack.

Install the Extension Pack this way:

Close all VMs and reboot the host so no Virtualbox processes are running.
Right-click the main Virtualbox app and Run As Administrator.
In the File menu, Tools popout, Extension Pack Manager, click Install. Browse to the Extension Pack download, then accept the license and let the install happen.
Close Virtualbox and wait for a minute before using Virtualbox again, so the Administrator privileges go away.