Windows 11 guest freezes quite soon after start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
reine667

Re: Windows 11 guest freezes quite soon after start

Post by reine667 »

... i did another test (Windows 11 as a guest)

VirtualBox 7.0.9 revision 157502 (Windows)
Guest Additions 7.0.9 revision 157540
Extension Pack 7.0.9 revision 157502

3D acceleration activated→Start menu no longer appears transparent→the error is gone
3D acceleration disabled→No crash on the Windows desktop when opening the start menu or opening the explorer→the error is gone
→ it seems to be working so far :D
Last edited by reine667 on 24. May 2023, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
reine667

Post by reine667 »

Hi, i downloaded the specified versions from the following link

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

"Latest 7.0.x test builds"
Windows 7.0.x revision 157502
Extension Pack 7.0.x revision 157502

"Development snapshots"
Guest Additions development revision 157540

the "x" currently stands for version 7.0.9
marmel

Post by marmel »

reine667 wrote:I can not confirm the error-free function with Windows 11 as a guest
Not sure if you're subscribed or active on any of the bug reports.

Per developer response on the above tickets...
DmitrG wrote:
Hello all. Please download and install on your Windows 11 VM a recent Development snapshots version of Guest Additions from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds. The issue has been fixed. Please check it!
As for my own experience... I ran dev build GA r157444 without any issue for 4 days.

Now I've installed dev build GA r157540 ~14hrs ago and my Win11 VM is running perfectly so far.
reine667

Post by reine667 »

... as just discovered, the following error still exists in the following versions (Windows 11 as a guest)

VirtualBox 7.0.9 revision 157502 (Windows)
Guest Additions 7.0.9 revision 157540
Extension Pack 7.0.9 revision 157502

3D acceleration activated→Log off→black screen
3D acceleration disabled→Log off→works
Last edited by reine667 on 24. May 2023, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
reine667

Post by reine667 »

... another test with current versions (Windows 11 as a guest)

"Latest 7.0.x test builds"
VirtualBox-7.0.9-157689-Win
Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-7.0.9-157659

"Development snapshots"
VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.97-157700

No errors so far. The error when logging off (with 3D acceleration activated) is also gone. This all seems to work 8)
fred1

Post by fred1 »

I am still experiencing freezes with the latest test build VirtualBox-7.0.9-157689 which I can make happen right away when opening File Explorer with a Windows 11 guest.

I have tried using the latest 6.x Guest Additions, it did not make a difference.

3D acceleration off and using VboxSVGA.

At the moment I have to primarily use my Windows 11 guests navigating and opening applications using the command prompt due to not being able to use File Explorer.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

fred1 wrote: 2. Jun 2023, 21:28 I am still experiencing freezes with the latest test build VirtualBox-7.0.9-157689
fred1, are you also updating the Guest Additions when you update the host Virtualbox?

You could keep trying the test builds, or drop back to 7.0.8 host Virtualbox and 7.0.6 Guest Additions. Note that the "latest" 6.1 GAs ("latest" will mean something different when a newer version comes out, BTW, better to list explicit version numbers) may have similar code causing the same issue.

There could be other reasons for strange VM behavior. Please start a new topic, and attach a new zipped log using the forum's Attachments tab. (I got your PM about logs. That level of concern is not necessary. There is nothing in the log that will render your host hackable except a possible mention of your host's IP address, which is only a problem if your internet comes directly to your host without going through a NAT router, and makes your host IP address not a private IP address. Also I don't go to those 3rd-party file sharing sites, with heaven knows what smut may show on the sides.)
marmel

Post by marmel »

fred1 wrote: 2. Jun 2023, 21:28 I am still experiencing freezes with the latest test build VirtualBox-7.0.9-157689 which I can make happen right away when opening File Explorer with a Windows 11 guest.
@fred1: Did you try the dev versions of the Guest Additions per developer request/comment on the bug reports tracked here?
This issue is specific to GA. I have always had that same reproducer (launch Windows Explorer) until fixed recently per the aforementioned bug reports. As the developer noted, try the dev builds of GA.

For me, the following combinations of VB 7.0.8 and GA yield....

Freezes:
Any official 7.0.x GA versions and "Latest 7.0.x test builds":
  • VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.8
  • VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.9-157702
Fixed:
Win11 guest no longer freezes, and fully operational for ~week each with "Development snapshots":
  • VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.97-157444
  • VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.97-157540
  • VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.97-157700
What's likely happening is the "test builds" branch still hasn't gotten the fixes merged from the "Dev snapshots" builds yet.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

marmel wrote: 4. Jun 2023, 15:00
fred1 wrote: 2. Jun 2023, 21:28 I am still experiencing freezes with the latest test build VirtualBox-7.0.9-157689 which I can make happen right away when opening File Explorer with a Windows 11 guest.
@fred1: Did you try the dev versions of the Guest Additions per developer request/comment on the bug reports tracked here?
This issue is specific to GA. I have always had that same reproducer (launch Windows Explorer) until fixed recently per the aforementioned bug reports. As the developer noted, try the dev builds of GA.

Freezes:
Fixed:
Win11 guest no longer freezes, and fully operational for ~week each with "Development snapshots":
What's likely happening is the "test builds" branch still hasn't gotten the fixes merged from the "Dev snapshots" builds yet.
I have downloaded the latest development build offered on the website VirtualBox-7.0.97-157682-Win and it has only made my guest experience worse. The freezes have not been fixed. My Guest Additions have also been updated if you are wondering.

I have 3D acceleration disabled.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

marmel wrote: 4. Jun 2023, 15:00

Freezes:
Fixed:
Can you test on the latest published development build (157682) a Windows 11 guest with the following settings?

Chipset: ICH9
Enable PAE/NX
Enable Nested Paging
Disable 3D Acceleration
256 MB video memory
Use Host I/O Cache
Enable Solid-state drive

My host machine has Core isolation - Memory integrity in Windows enabled. With these settings my guest machine still has freeze issues.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

fred1 wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 20:00 My host machine has Core isolation - Memory integrity in Windows enabled.
This means that VirtualBox has to run under the Hyper-V hypervisor using NEM (Native Execution Mode), and has no direct access to hardware virtualization (VT-x/AMD-V). This (and the following) would have been easily visible in a (zipped) VBox.log file, if you had provided one, BTW. ;)

There's an (unsolved) issue also reported by other users, where Linux/Windows guests on Windows hosts with Hyper-V freeze after a few minutes or hours of runtime. The time might be influenced by the graphics settings, but the bug does not really depend on graphics. The bugfixes in the graphics area cannot solve those issues.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

fth0 wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 21:56
fred1 wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 20:00 My host machine has Core isolation - Memory integrity in Windows enabled.
This means that VirtualBox has to run under the Hyper-V hypervisor using NEM (Native Execution Mode), and has no direct access to hardware virtualization (VT-x/AMD-V). This (and the following) would have been easily visible in a (zipped) VBox.log file, if you had provided one, BTW. ;)

There's an (unsolved) issue also reported by other users, where Linux/Windows guests on Windows hosts with Hyper-V freeze after a few minutes or hours of runtime. The time might be influenced by the graphics settings, but the bug does not really depend on graphics. The bugfixes in the graphics area cannot solve those issues.
VirtualBox automatically detects this and runs under Hyper-V as explained in the official documentation:
https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualizati ... pport.html

I can confirm this by seeing the Hyper-V icon in the status bar.

This still does not help me in any way with my freeze issue. I am not experiencing this with other virtualisation software.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

fred1, Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
fred1

Post by fred1 »

scottgus1 wrote: 8. Jun 2023, 14:06 fred1, Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
See attached file. I had to shutdown by sending a shutdown signal. The virtual machine would freeze pretty much instantly on getting to the desktop environment. I can unfreeze it for a second or two by pressing the close button on the virtual machine and then making the shutdown window disappear by pressing escape going back to the virtual machine.

Doing this like ten to fifteen times in a sequence usually unfreezes the virtual machine for a little while before it freezes up again. But then it gets weird things like slow downs every few seconds.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(42.01 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for the log file, which indicates the (unsolved) issue I was talking about:
VBox.log wrote:
00:01:38.148413 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 23 seconds ago
00:01:38.152359 VMMDev: GuestHeartBeat: Guest is alive (gone 23 079 684 200 ns)
In a VM running normally, the guest OS sends a heartbeat every 2 seconds, and VirtualBox runs a 4-seconds timer to report missing heartbeats when the timer elapses. The log messages above indicate that the 4-seconds timer elapsed only after 23 seconds, which could mean that VirtualBox was only scheduled to run on the host for a total of 4 seconds during the 23 seconds, which is really bad of course.

Other users' reports indicated that this also happens while the host CPU has no significant load, so I'd guess there is a conceptual problem when VirtualBox runs under Hyper-V. On the other hand, this issue has only been reported by a few users so far, so it could be difficult to reproduce for the VirtualBox developers.

I'm aware that this still really doesn't help you, but at least you know now that it's an unsolved issue. Further ideas are welcome!