VB Manager Expands and Won't Shrink

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
chrisw63

VB Manager Expands and Won't Shrink

Post by chrisw63 »

While using VB with Ubuntu (latest - though it has no bearing on this), I clicked on Tools, Activities. The window expanded to a third of my 2k screen, horizontally, to accommodate the tools. But after switching it back to the default Welcome, it won't change. Even after stopping VB and rebooting the machine, the new minimum size is persistent. YES, I KNOW uninstalling and reinstalling would fix it, but then I'd have to reload all my VMs, wouldn't I? And using Activities would expand it again.

This is hopefully a just bug missed by the UI team. UI design has progressed enough that there is no reason for minimum window sizes larger than the largest object in it. HTML has set the bar for the UX industry, and it's an easy hop to clear it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VB Manager Expands and Won't Shrink

Post by scottgus1 »

uninstalling/reinstalling won't affect the GUI issue. These things are stored in a Virtualbox data file that doesn't get erased during un/reinstall.

Try rebooting the host so no Virtualbox processes are running, then run these commands in a Windows Command Prompt:

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/SplitterSizes
VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/LastWindowPosition
VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/LogWindowGeometry