Host Only Interface not accessible from WireGuard

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Pled

Host Only Interface not accessible from WireGuard

Post by Pled »

I have just set up wireguard for access to a local server when out on a clients site. Connection to the network is fine and I can remote desktop to the server and see things on the network.
The software installed uses Virtualbox and automatically configures this as a Host Only interface.
Local PCs are able to use this software without an issue.

As I am now connecting via VPN, there is another layer of networking that needs to be configured to allow the information to pass up to the Wireguard client.

I have tried network sharing (ICS) on all adapters part of this, and to no avail.

Has anyone seen this ? Heard of this ? Or have any idea of a solution ?
Appreciate any help in advance
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Host Only Interface not accessible from WireGuard

Post by scottgus1 »

Pled wrote: Connection to the network is fine and I can remote desktop to the server and see things on the network.
The software installed uses Virtualbox and automatically configures this as a Host Only interface.
Local PCs are able to use this software without an issue.
The only problem with the above is the bolded part. The Host-Only network only allows communication between the VM and the host only. (Thus the name :lol: ) Please see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Host-Only Adapter.

If the VM can connect to other devices on the network, then there is more going on than just or instead of Host-Only.
Pled wrote:The software installed uses Virtualbox and automatically configures this
You might get better help with what the software configures by asking their help channels how to get communication with their VM. We don't really know what they're doing with Virtualbox, and generally 3rd-party provisioners of Virtualbox support their own setups.
Pled

Post by Pled »

I guessed it was alot to do with the company that's released it.

They are using /distributing a very old copy of it and won't support any newer releases, I guess at some point there was a release that was OK to be used for commercial use without registration, etc etc

I'm trying to get through to a person to talk it through with but so far, it's like pulling teeth. Such an uhelpful team of developers.

Unfortunately, I can't test the comma out of the VMs as they are some encrypted devices, linux based, but not open source and no GUI to access the internals.
Also cannot add any extra communication devices, etc in them as they are 'emulating' a real device to save having hundreds of real devices all on the desk

I'll keep trying but feel like it's not gonna happen.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Troublesome situation, sounds like. You could post the VM's recipe and we could check its network settings.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)