RAID 10 Array issue, unable to see hard disks

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Thalvid

RAID 10 Array issue, unable to see hard disks

Post by Thalvid »

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a RAID 10 (RAID 1+0) Array on my VM, it's for an assignment that's due in 3 days and 15 hours.

My 4 vhd's are showing up in Disk Management and In the Server Manager > file and storage services > Disks
but they aren't showing up in the Server Manager > file and storage services > Storage Pools > Physical Disks window
and they should be there so I can set a storage pool that makes a mirrored array from two sets of two of them

I have browsed a few posts, that say to make one controller an IDE in the Storage Settings menu of my VM from the Oracle homewindow, while the VM is off. But I'm really not finding out how to get the Virtual Hard Disks to be usable in the storage pools window.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: RAID 10 Array issue, unable to see hard disks

Post by scottgus1 »

Sounds like a good project!

To get you looking in the correct place for a solution:
Thalvid wrote:My 4 vhd's are showing up in Disk Management
This is is all Virtualbox handles on this project: getting the disks into the VM. It's likely that SATA connections will be OK for further software RAID configurations inside the VM OS.

If, before setting up the RAID in the VM OS, you could quick-format and write to each of the four disks separately, then Virtualbox is working and further troubles are from configuration issues with the VM OS.

BTW, VHD has a design flaw that can be deadly to the data if the VHD is dynamic-expanding and the host has a disk glitch while the VHD is expanding to take in more data. Fixed-size VHDs have the design flaw but never get bigger so they won't trigger the flaw. Other disk file formats like VMDK and Virtualbox-native VDI don't have this design flaw.
Thalvid

Re: RAID 10 Array issue, unable to see hard disks

Post by Thalvid »

I appreciate your reply. I tried initializing each of the four disks as Simple Volumes in Disk Management.
as you said to, I saved a text file on each titled "RECOGNIZE ME" with the word "Please!" typed in it.
Despite all this my Storage Pool page of the Server Manager files and storage services still didn't show more than just one disk. My solution for now is explaining in my final project video that the RAID 10 is being setup and will be completed as soon as we can find a solution for the VM to recognize the disks so I can make a storage pool of a mirrored array, two of them, and then stripe them together in Disk Management.