VirtualBox failed to open a session lacking WinVerifyTrust

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
thmojacob

VirtualBox failed to open a session lacking WinVerifyTrust

Post by thmojacob »

I'm working on Windows 10 Home (version 22H2, OS build 19045). Shortly after another Windows update my Oracle VM VirtualBox (version 7.0.6, no extension packs, no guest additions) stopped launching virtual machines (Ubuntu in my case), raising a typical error during VM start, namely:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine.

The virtual machine has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0X80004005)

Component: MachineWrap

Interface: IMachine {300763af-5d6b-46e6-aa96-273eac15538a}
Just in case, hardware specs are:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8145U CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.82 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I understand that this is a classical problem answered many times on several forums, but the trick is that it's never the same for every single user and his machine (damned Windows updates and unhelpful error labelling). I have explored lots of different solutions on stackoverflow, superuser and here, but nothing helped so far.

Here is the list of my attempts:

1. Rebooting.

2. Updating VirtualBox and Windows 10. Uninstalling and reinstalling VirtualBox again, checking thoroughly 'Run as administrator' option every time.

3. Running in cmd bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on for disabling driver integrity checks.

4. Setting Paravirtualization Interface to KVM.

5. Haven't found C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\vboxdrv directory (\drivers contains \network, \USB and \vboxsup folders) and therefore had no chance to try reinstalling the VB kernel driver VBoxDrv.inf; I really wonder where is this driver in that new version of VirtualBox (if it could only help...).

6. Repairing Windows System Files via running sfc /scannow in terminal.

7. Trying all the three different types of starting the vm: normal, headless and detachable. Done this after every single change in all the steps before and after this point. Discarding current vm state as well, restoring other states to launch from.

8. Turning off real-time protection in Windows Defender and launching VM.

9. Installing VBoxSup.inf driver in the aforementioned \vboxsup directory.

10. I've read about some issues with Hyper-V preventing VBox to start correctly, but since my Win10 version is Home, I have no chance to access it via Windows Features in Control Panel (actually, it's obviously absent).

11. Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform were unchecked even before I visited Windows Features Panel, but despite this I tried checking, applying, rebooting, unchecking, applying, and rebooting again, to be sure.

12. Changing adapter settings by checking and unchecking (with rebooting) VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver in VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter and my network connection, tried one and both.

13. Disabling Secure Boot option in BIOS and reinstalling VBox again.

As far as I understand (but I'm neither an experienced VM user nor good at reading logs), there should be probably a trouble with Wintrust.dll because for some reason there is a bunch of VBox libraries lacking WinVerifyTrust. Though I'm not sure at all, so VBoxHardening.log is attached as usual. Any help appreciated, I'm really quite in despair spending two days on it and gaining zero progress...
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
Log
(10.98 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox failed to open a session lacking WinVerifyTrust

Post by scottgus1 »

Those hardening logs are hard to read. Something is modifying memory contents, look for lines at the beginning like:

2bf8.1dc4: VBoxHeadless.exe: Differences in section #7 (.00cfg) between file and memory:

Though I'm not certain if these reports aren't always bad. Neither are the "Lacks WinVerifyTrust"s, they show in the middle of successful starts too.

The error on "Wintrust.dll" is seen.

Exit code 1 is mentioned in Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues, post 4 and the last paragraph of post 3. Look out for extra security software on your host besides native Windows Defender. Try uninstalling such completely as a test, then rebooting and see if Virtualbox runs.
thmojacob

Post by thmojacob »

I installed no antiviruses and/or security software, using only native Windows features for this purpose. Any ideas on how to can I help with making these logs readable? Nonetheless I'll double-check and try following your advice, thanks for a quick feedback.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

A library named Itcspea.Dll is invading the address space of the VirtualBoxVM process, and it seems to belong to one of the softwares named ViPNet ... by infotecs. Uninstall this software for a test or make it ignore VirtualBox.

FWIW, VBoxDrv.sys was renamed to VBoxSup.sys at some point during the VirtualBox 6.1.x release updates.
thmojacob

Post by thmojacob »

fth0 thank you so much, your advice helped me to resolve the problem finally.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

You're welcome! What was the solution working for you?
thmojacob

Post by thmojacob »

I simply uninstalled this software and launched VM in VirtualBox, it works perfectly. Thanks once more, I spent three bloody days on it :roll:
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for reporting back! :)