Failed to resize medium, Resizing to new size is not yet supported for medium

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
damon salvatore

Failed to resize medium, Resizing to new size is not yet supported for medium

Post by damon salvatore »

so, i am trying to modify my kali linux vm vdi from 45GB to 120GB so at first i tried through virtual media manager and got this error
Screenshot 2023-03-19 001946.png
Screenshot 2023-03-19 001946.png (19.34 KiB) Viewed 6465 times
and next up i tried doing it from CMD as Admin but also got same error
Screenshot 2023-03-19 001828.png
Screenshot 2023-03-19 001828.png (55.23 KiB) Viewed 6465 times
and yes i made sure no snapshots where there also state is powered off and while doing second attempt that virtual box was closed too :( :( :( please help?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Failed to resize medium, Resizing to new size is not yet supported for medium

Post by scottgus1 »

It's not by any chance a fixed-size disk? Fixed size disks can't be resized.

You can clone a fixed-size disk to a dynamic disk using Mpack's CloneVDI. This tool will also expand the cloned vdi to the desired larger size, and may be able to adjust the data partition, too.
damon salvatore

Re: Failed to resize medium, Resizing to new size is not yet supported for medium

Post by damon salvatore »

scottgus1 wrote:It's not by any chance a fixed-size disk? Fixed size disks can't be resized.

You can clone a fixed-size disk to a dynamic disk using Mpack's. This tool will also expand the cloned vdi to the desired larger size, and may be able to adjust the data partition, too.
yes it is a fixed-sized disk and currently i am letting Mpack do the magic and will edit reply once it's done, thanks a lot

resulted in same disk size even though i did the following settings
Screenshot 2023-03-19 023204.png
Screenshot 2023-03-19 023204.png (14.33 KiB) Viewed 6442 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

damon salvatore wrote:resulted in same disk size
The settings look good. Does the disk size look correct in Virtualbox's Virtual Media Manager, but the OS inside the VM doesn't see the new space?

If so, it could be that CloneVDI couldn't expand the partition. Mpack would have to say if this is the case.

Boot the VM with a Gparted ISO and try expanding the clone's partition. How to Resize a Drive step 2
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

See the CloneVDI release notes: CloneVDI can't resize a Linux partition. It can (and does, with those settings) however move other partitions aside so that GParted has a very easy job to do.