NuMega SoftICE debugger acting strange in XP VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jayanthd

NuMega SoftICE debugger acting strange in XP VM

Post by jayanthd »

Please solve my minor issue

I am using Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 as my host and Windows XP Pro x32 (x86) as my Guest. Both are licensed versions.

I am trying to use Numega SoftICE and when I press CTRL+D the system freezes as required according to NuMega SoftICE but the NuMega SoftICE window doesn't draw on screen. I have to resize the window which refreshes the screen and make SoftICE window to be drawn.

After that for every command I issue to the Numega SoftICE, I have to refresh the screen by resizing it to get it working.

The last command was X command to quit the NuMega SoftICE debugger.

My copy of NuMega SoftICE is a licenced version. I am not using any cracked version of any software. It is all a clean setup. I am mentioning this because people think that if somebody is using SoftICE then it is probably a cracked version.

Check that video file showing the issue.

By the way, Video Graphics is set to VBoxVGA and 3D acceleration is enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOJfhx9NjIY
Last edited by scottgus1 on 12. Mar 2023, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed topic title
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Please solve my minor issue

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
jayanthd

Post by jayanthd »

[quote="scottgus1"]Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-cli

Okay, Done.
Attachments
VBoxLog.zip
(28.92 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V is enabled on the host, but I'm not certain that's a problem here. HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
jayanthd wrote:00:00:05.535579 VirtualBox VM 7.0.6 r155176 win.amd64 (Jan 11 2023 16:38:38) release log
Windows XP Pro x32 (x86) as my Guest. ... 3D acceleration is enabled.
Since 6.1, Vista and earlier don't have 3D acceleration. So 3D isn't working in your XP VM.

6.0 & earlier still have 3D acceleration for XP, using the VboxVGA video card that the VM is using now.
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds
Don't forget that Guest Additions must be installed in XP's Safe Mode to get 3D acceleration running in XP.

No idea if this will stop the problems you're having, though.
jayanthd

Post by jayanthd »

scottgus1 wrote:Hyper-V is enabled on the host, but I'm not certain that's a problem here. HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
jayanthd wrote:00:00:05.535579 VirtualBox VM 7.0.6 r155176 win.amd64 (Jan 11 2023 16:38:38) release log
Windows XP Pro x32 (x86) as my Guest. ... 3D acceleration is enabled.
Since 6.1, Vista and earlier don't have 3D acceleration. So 3D isn't working in your XP VM.

6.0 & earlier still have 3D acceleration for XP, using the VboxVGA video card that the VM is using now.
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds
Don't forget that Guest Additions must be installed in XP's Safe Mode to get 3D acceleration running in XP.

No idea if this will stop the problems you're having, though.
So, I have to setup a new VM with new disk using VBox 6.0 and enable 3D acceleration? Before enabling 3D acceleration I have to boot in Safe mode and install guest Ayditions?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

jayanthd wrote:I have to setup a new VM with new disk
No. The existing VM should work in 6.0.
jayanthd wrote:Before enabling 3D acceleration I have to boot in Safe mode and install guest Ayditions?
I think you'd enable 3D acceleration first then install GAs.

Uninstall the old GAs.
Reboot then shut down the VM using XP's Start Menu Shut Down button.
Uninstall the 7.0 Extension Pack.
Uninstall Virtualbox 7.0 from the host & reboot the host.
Install 6.0 and the matching Extension Pack.
Enable 3D acceleration in the XP VM video settings. Max out the video RAM.
Start the XP VM in F8 Safe Mode.
Install Guest Additions with 3D acceleration enabled.
Reboot XP.
Try your app. (You might need to reinstall the app.)
jayanthd

Post by jayanthd »

scottgus1 wrote:
jayanthd wrote:I have to setup a new VM with new disk
No. The existing VM should work in 6.0.
jayanthd wrote:Before enabling 3D acceleration I have to boot in Safe mode and install guest Ayditions?
I think you'd enable 3D acceleration first then install GAs.

Uninstall the old GAs.
Reboot then shut down the VM using XP's Start Menu Shut Down button.
Uninstall the 7.0 Extension Pack.
Uninstall Virtualbox 7.0 from the host & reboot the host.
Install 6.0 and the matching Extension Pack.
Enable 3D acceleration in the XP VM video settings. Max out the video RAM.
Start the XP VM in F8 Safe Mode.
Install Guest Additions with 3D acceleration enabled.
Reboot XP.
Try your app. (You might need to reinstall the app.)

I deleted the old VMs. To start a fresh but I have new issue. The V6.0.0 is causing issues. It doesn't give me an option to select the Win XP.iso image file after creating the new Virtual Machine. Instead it is giving my some error.

What alternate I can do? I have deleted all files of the older install and just have saved the Windows XP Professional x86 32-Bit.vdi hard disk image file. How can I set it up with V6.0.0?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Re: NuMega SoftICE debugger acting strange in XP VM

Post by scottgus1 »

jayanthd wrote:I deleted the old VMs.
Patience, Padawan. Your impatience renders my previous answer a waste of my time to have bothered with. I shan't be tricked again here.

Read section 1 of the manual.