Failing to share folders between Windows 10 host and Windows XP guest.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Toniho

Failing to share folders between Windows 10 host and Windows XP guest.

Post by Toniho »

Hello guys!

First of all, I'm only just discovering virtual machines and I'm no hack in the computer field so bear with me please. :roll:

I'm trying to run a Windows XP virtual machine on my Windows 10 computer because I stumbled upon an error I couldn't fix when trying to run a relatively old game that apparently requires a 32 bit OS (compatiliby modes didn't work, neither other solutions that worked for other people).
So I installed VirtualBox, setup a virtual machine with a Windows XP 32 bits iso, and it seems to work fine! Then I went to Devices -> Shared Folders and linked the folder in which I installed that game on my computer, and installed the Guest Additions on my virtual machine's OS, but after that I don't know what more to do in order to be able to access that folder...

Am I on the right track? :|
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Failing to share folders between Windows 10 host and Windows XP guest.

Post by scottgus1 »

If you are trying to copy the installer file for the game to your VM, then you're on the right track. Go to the "server":

\\vboxsvr

in the VM and you'll find your shared folder.

If you're trying to copy the installed files from the host OS that may not work, depending on what the game needs to install. Better to copy the installer and reinstall inside the VM.
Toniho

Re: Failing to share folders between Windows 10 host and Windows XP guest.

Post by Toniho »

Well, somehow drive x: and z: (don't know why there are two) called "vboxsvr" eventually appeared and I have access to the shared folder indeed!
I also found how to connect my optical drive to the virtual machine but everytime I put a CD in, it's my main OS that's recognizing it so I have to uncheck and check again the selected drive in the VM... could be better but it works. :)

Now apparently all this wouldn't solve my issue with the game but I think it is because it's not compatible with my intel integrated graphics actually... shame.