Can't get "Shared Folder" to work

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bassman002

Can't get "Shared Folder" to work

Post by Bassman002 »

HI:)

I have Win 11 as Host and Windows 7 as Guest OS. I used a pre defined Win 7 as the virtual Disc.

Installed the Additions and added a shared folder on the host desktop, but in Win 7 I can't see the folder!

Machine/shared folder --> searched for the desktop and selected to automatically mount it and set "permanent" . It says "Full Access" and I restart the Machine, but no success.

"Mount Points" I let empty.

In the Win 7 Guest there's no such folder. I then tried "Drag'n Drop" between Guest and Host, but I can't get the mouse out of the Guest Window and the other direction does absolutely nothing.

Does anybody know how to get the Folder showing up in the Guest?

Thanks;)
Heinz.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can't get "Shared Folder" to work

Post by scottgus1 »

Bassman002 wrote:I can't get the mouse out of the Guest Window
Does this only happen when attempting a drag-n-drop? Or is the mouse locked inside the VM all the time after you click in the VM?
Bassman002 wrote:added a shared folder on the host desktop, but in Win 7 I can't see the folder!
Inside the VM, did you look at this "server":

\\vboxsvr

See section 4 in the manual.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
Bassman002

Post by Bassman002 »

HI:)

@scottgus1

Thank you very much;)

As I looked for the \\vboxsvr I saw that I forgot to install the Vbox Guest Additions.iso!

So problem solved, this will solve the Drag'n Drop Problem too I hope:)

thanks;)
Heinz.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.