Do We need to install a separate antivirus for the OS in virtual box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
battulu

Do We need to install a separate antivirus for the OS in virtual box

Post by battulu »

Hi,
Running windows Os 11 and created a virtual box to install older OS and older version of office to work older excel file.
The system comes with pre installed mcafee and it is now being used as antivirus.
Now, I have older xp version and older Office, which really lacks security feature , as those were not supported by microsoft longback.
As such, Should I install separate antivirus inside the OS in virtual box?
No antivirus support xp version anymore as I can see.
Will the guest pc antivirus, mcafee protect security vulnerabilities , for the older installations in virtual Box
If not , which antivirus still supports xp system
Can I have the solutions
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Do We need to install a separate antivirus for the OS in virtual box

Post by scottgus1 »

battulu wrote: Should I install separate antivirus inside the OS in virtual box?
Only if the OS in the VM gets on the internet or you try to run files from the internet inside the VM.

In your case, if you only run the MS Office and Excel spreadsheets in the VM and do not attempt to get on the internet, you may not need AV in the VM.

You can keep the VM off the internet by not putting a NAT, NAT Network, or Bridged network on the VM. If you use Virtualbox Shared Folders to get files into and out of the VM, you don't need any network in the VM.
battulu

Post by battulu »

Hi, Scot thanks for the advice.
how do I stop internet access to the xp.
I started browsing the internet in firefox and also configured avast as a safety measure.
Can I now, cut off the internet access to Virtual box.
I just want to meddle with the excel files.
Please show me the way How do I view the actual size, I allotted and use.
Why the xp shows memory low message
can i edit and change
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

battulu wrote:how do I stop internet access to the xp.
scottgus1 wrote:not putting a NAT, NAT Network, or Bridged network on the VM.
In the VM window, look at the Status Bar at the bottom. There is a network icon in the group of icons. Right-click it then click "connect cable". XP should warn that the network cable is disconnected. XP is now off the internet.
battulu wrote:How do I view the actual size, I allotted and use.
I don't understand this question or how it relates to internet access.
battulu wrote:Why the xp shows memory low message
While the VM is shut down, increase the VM's RAM in the Settings, System group, Motherboard tab.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

Be aware that Office files can be infected with viruses and as such I would advise putting antivirus on it, unless you can trust all of the files you open or run on it 100%.
battulu

Post by battulu »

Your quote
look at the Status Bar at the bottom. There is a network icon in the group of icons. Right-click it then click "connect cable". XP should warn that the network cable is disconnected. XP is now off the internet.
I have seen the network icon. But right click does not give connect cable.There is no menu.
But there was a menu to disable. Just disabling enough, pl?
Moreover, I do find a network adapter enabled staged. I just disabled it.I will say, that if if takes the same adapter, that I have for windows 11 machine.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

battulu wrote:...There is no menu.
But there was a menu...
So was there one or wasn't there? :lol: If English is not your native language, please feel free to use your native language and we can use translation services. Some of your English is hard to understand.
battulu wrote:right click does not give connect cable.
Sorry, I should have checked the exact phrase. It's "Connect Network Adapter" in English. This menu command plugs or unplugs the virtual network cable. When the network icon is colored, the cable is connected. When the network icon is grayed out, the cable is disconnected.
battulu wrote:I will say, that if if takes the same adapter, that I have for windows 11 machine.
The network adapter type for each VM is tuned to the type of OS in the VM and should not be changed. Each VM's adapter may be different than other VMs or the host hardware. There is no need to match VM hardware settings to the host's hardware. The VM acts like a completely different PC.