Windows NT 4.0 guest - can't drag from guest to host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
FirstLooks

Windows NT 4.0 guest - can't drag from guest to host

Post by FirstLooks »

I'm running Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP6a under VirtualBox 7.0.6 in Windows 11. I've installed the Guest Additions, and I can drag files from the host to the guest, but I can't drag files from the guest to the host. On the menu, under Devices, Drag and Drop, I have Bidirectional checked, and I've experimented with "Guest to Host" but still can't drag files.

Am I missing something obvious? I'll be very grateful for any help. (And I do have a network adapter installed in Windows NT.)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows NT 4.0 guest - can't drag from guest to host

Post by scottgus1 »

Drag n drop has always been a little wonky. If getting files into and out of the VM is the only goal, try Virtualbox Shared Folders instead.

Otherwise, Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
FirstLooks

Re: Windows NT 4.0 guest - can't drag from guest to host

Post by FirstLooks »

I was about to zip up the log, when I tried dragging from guest to host again - and it worked!

Meanwhile, I've got another problem, but I'll start a different thread. Meanwhile, thank you!