How do I use old version of ms office 2007 in Virtual Box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
battulu

How do I use old version of ms office 2007 in Virtual Box

Post by battulu »

Hi,
Now running windows 11 . I have some excel workbook , which all supports only up to ms office 2007. I cannot install that OS now in my system. I have the latest pre installed office 2021 student version.
These files if opened in excel 2021, it opens with compile errors. To avoid using it, I want to virtually run the office 2007 in virtual box.
Can I just use only ms office 2007 in Vbox without having to install the xp or windows 7 OS in Vbox.
I tried all instructions and I get no bootable media found error.
Could some one clearly tell menu wise to how do I accomplish my task.
The ms excel 32 does not work with windows 11.
Kindly say if it could be done to have only ms office 2007 in virtual box.
Menu Wise would be more helpful , so that i could use those excel sheets which contain macros.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How do I use old version of ms office 2007 in Virtual Box

Post by scottgus1 »

battulu wrote:Can I just use only ms office 2007 in Vbox without having to install the xp or windows 7 OS in Vbox.
No. Virtualbox simulates a complete virtual PC inside your physical PC. Just like a physical PC needs an OS installed before you can install apps on it, so the same is for a Virtualbox VM.

See section 1 in the Virtualbox manual.
battulu

Post by battulu »

Hi, Scot, But have seen some tutorial on using ms office installation .
OK, Sir, Please say, how do I install microsoft Office after installing the OS.
have seen tutorials regarding using of virtual Box for installing xp on virtual box.
Thanks for your clarification.

There was no mention of windows OS.
Please also say the settings for windows 11, or link, as latest version support not bios but only uefi.
For eg. After installing xp, which occupies less space, can I just copy ms office and click set up to work with it.
I am unable to give link, or urls
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

battulu wrote:After installing xp, ... can I just copy ms office and click set up to work with it.
Yes. If MS Office is on a CD or ISO, insert the CD or ISO into the VM's CD drive and run the installer from the VM's CD drive, just like a regular PC.
battulu

Post by battulu »

see the picture and kindly help
I have got ms office as files and folders inside a folder
Can I copy the folder to the xp explorer folder and then click ms office setup to run.
I am not able to copy the folder inside the virtual box
It said error copying with some errors.
It it possible, please say, how to from inside the vbox
not able to insert picture
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

battulu wrote:I have got ms office as files and folders inside a folder
If this is the Office installer copied from the Office CD, you can share that folder in the VM's Shared Folders settings, if you have Guest Additions installed in the VM. See section 4 in the manual.

Once the Guest Additions and shared folder are set up, copy the Office installer to a folder inside the VM OS, then run the installer.

You could also use an ISO maker app to make an ISO of the Office installer folder on the host, then put the ISO in the VM's CD drive and install from there.
battulu wrote:It said error copying with some errors.
You need to tell us the exact message of the error, when an error occurs, for us to be able to help.
battulu

Post by battulu »

Hi, scot, nice of you to give clue to the virtual box configuration.
I was able to install ms office older version in virtual box.
But please tell me, that now I have two OS, windows xp virtually and Windows 11 as original pc.
I have just closed the virtual box and I had problem in booting the system.
There was no display in the pc, but i could just see the working of the system light correctly flickering to denote that it is trying booting but there was no display at all.
I have somehow removed all peripheral devices such as pendrives etc and then it boots with no problem.
My query is
Should I opt for saving of settings when we close the virtual box or eject the vb
If suppose, I eject the vbox, then how do I access the windows xp Os and ms office 2007 in the virtual box
Does I have to repeat all the things again like installilng xp Os and ms ofice 2007 to get in to the virtual box.
Or Can I just open and the virtual box opens in the windows xp start screen automatically.
Where will I will find the easy way of opening and closing the vb as and when needed
Hope to get replies from you, sir,
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

battulu wrote:Should I opt for saving of settings when we close the virtual box or eject the vb
Definitely do not "eject" the vb. I gather that you refer to removing and deleting the VM. Definitely no. The VM can stay on the host and will not interfere with the host OS.

When you are done with the VM, use the XP Start Menu to Shut Down the VM, just like you would shut down a physical XP PC. Shut down the VM before shutting down the host. Then the next tart of the XP VM will very likely go well.
battulu

Post by battulu »

Hi, On closing the xp inside virtual box, close, shutdown and reboot to xp os start screen. Is that correct
I get low memory warning in xp,
I have selected fixed disk of 10 gb instead of dynamic when I first configured the virtual box.
can I increase the memory without loosing the xp and other files .
Or should i have to completely delete the present vbox , create a new and then do all the things once again.
please
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

battulu wrote:I get low memory disk space warning in xp,
I have selected fixed disk of 10 gb instead of dynamic when I first configured the virtual box.
FTFY. Your mentioning the fixed disk now makes me think the warning is about low disk space. "Memory" is the computer's RAM. not its disk.

The fixed disk is a problem. Expanding a virtual disk is difficult enough for a very new user without adding fixed disks into the mix. You should not change the default settings in the VM without knowing why they're set that way, or without asking beforehand.

Have you activated XP yet?