No Default or UI configuration directive found!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tegan_102

No Default or UI configuration directive found!

Post by tegan_102 »

Hi there!
I was going to install Raspberry Pi desktop Linux on the VirtualBox virtual machine. When I start the machine I receive No Default or UI configuration directive found! It is the first time I have downloaded the VM and Pi desktop and the first time I tried starting it. Has anyone stumble upon this before and have some clues as to what went wrong? any help will be greatly appreciated! :)
Attachments
VMerror.png
VMerror.png (30.15 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No Default or UI configuration directive found!

Post by mpack »

We can have a look, but that looks like a problem with the guest OS. Only their devs can tell you what the message means.

But provide a VM log and we can take a look. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Btw I had no problem installing and running RPi Desktop (x86) when I did it some time last year. You make mention of downloading a VM... you should download the ISO and install the OS yourself. It's easy.
Geetron

Re: No Default or UI configuration directive found!

Post by Geetron »

Hi mate,

I was encountering the exact same issue as you. It's not a virtual box issue. Basically you are trying to load it as if the image is a drive image when really the image is a bootable installation media iso.

For those trying to get the Raspberry PI OS desktop installed on virtual box, make sure you start again and follow these instructions, which worked for me:

https://roboticsbackend.com/install-ras ... e_and_type

I can't post URLs on my first day as a member.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 18. Mar 2023, 14:54, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added link