Critical Error on launch of VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AngryBurrito

Critical Error on launch of VM

Post by AngryBurrito »

I am running Virtualbox 7.0 (version 7.0.6 r155176) on a windows 11 machine. It is a brand new installation and i have tried a couple different vms and they crash on startup with a message to check the logs for debugging information. I tried a Kali VM and also tried creating a new Kali VM from an ISO. Both failed to launch. I have used this same Kali VM on other workstations running both windows 10 and 11 and it works fine.

Any insight or assistance in resolving this issue would be fantastic.

Log files are attached. Thanks in advance

AB
Attachments
VBox_Log_AB.zip
(97.24 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Critical Error on launch of VM

Post by mpack »

Does the VM start when 3D acceleration is disabled?

I ask because the error is VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED, which is first reported as part of initializing 3D acceleration:
00:00:15.324911 VMSVGA3d: cap[34]=failed rc=VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED {SURFACEFMT_A2R10G10B10}
I'm going to guess that the Surface Pro doesn't have OpenGL graphics, VirtualBox needs that API to make accelerated graphics available to the VM.
AngryBurrito

Post by AngryBurrito »

It does the same thing with 3D acceleration enabled or disabled. I saw the mention of the surface pro listed also and i was a little confused because this is a HP Desktop and not a surface pro. Additionally it has a Quadro RTX 5000 which should handle any graphics requirements.

I have attached the new logs with 3d Acceleration turned off.

Thanks
AB
Attachments
Vbox_Logs_AB_no3d.zip
(89.84 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Strange, I could have sworn that I saw mention of Surface Pro somewhere. Perhaps that was someone else's post I had just read, and the graphics error confirmed it.

In hindsight, SURFACEFMT errors will not be referring to a Microsoft Surface, they will be referring to a graphics surface, i.e. a frame store.

Check for graphics mode settings between the host and guest that are incompatible, as that can stop 3D acceleration from working. For example, 32bit RGBA on the host, 24bit RGB in the VM. You want the VM to be able to blit frames to the host with zero conversion overhead.
AngryBurrito

Post by AngryBurrito »

I am not sure how or why... I didnt change anything and it just started working. Maybe the 15th reboot was what it needed.

Thanks for your help!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Are you saying that it now works with 3D acceleration? Because it seems clear that the error message concerns HDR graphics (10bit RGB) being used on the host, which may not be what you have in the VM. That would not be fixable until the mismatch is corrected.

I don't have HDR on any of my PCs, so I have no idea if VirtualBox virtual graphics supports it.