Windows 11 Guest hangs after login

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sergiortc

Post by sergiortc »

I have the same problem.
I run a windows 10 version 2004 (OS Build 19041.2486).
I have had the Windows 11 VM for a few months and it's been working fine with VirtualBox 6.1.40-154048 and its guest additions.

The VM is configured with:
Windows 11 21H2 (OS Build 22000.1516)
12 GB RAM
PIIX3
TPM V 2.0
Enable I/O APIC
Enable EFI
2 Processors
Execution Cap 100%
Paravirtualization Interface Default
Enable Nested Paging

128 MB Video.
1 monitor
Graphic Controller VBoxVGA
No 3d video.

120 GB HD VDI Actual Size 85.68 GB

Audio Enabled
Network NAT
No serial port
USB 3.0

I upgraded VirtualBox to version 70.6.r155176 (Qt5.15.2)

When I turned on my Windows 11 VM, VirtualBox notified me I was running guest additions 6.1.40 and offered to upgrade.
I clicked the upgrade option in the notification and the machine hanged while installing.
After 30 minutes I forced the VM to power off (File - Close - Power off the machine in VirtualBox window).

I turned it on again and it worked for a few minutes and then hanged.
I forced the VM to power off again.
I checked the log and all I found interesting was a message at the end of it stating "The machine seems to be irresponsive)", no error was reported.

I turned on again the VM and went immediately to Apps and found no guest additions were installed (I guess the failed installation worked until it removed the old guest additions).
I clicked on Devices - Insert Guest Additions CD image and opened File explorer and asked to run the guest additions installer. It installed and asked to restart.
I restarted the VM.
After a few minutes the VM hanged again.

I deleted the VM, including the VDI, restored my VDI from a backup and created a new VM with the same configuration, only this time I did not upgrade the guest additions.
My Windows 11 VM has been working Ok. for half an hour.
I use the VM to program and opened my Visual Studio Professional 2022 (64 bits) Version 17.4.4, opened the solution which I am working and tested it to run.
No error whatsoever.

For me it is clear the problem is with the guest additions version 70.6.r155176 (Qt5.15.2).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Do not hijack other threads, create your own.
sergiortc wrote:I deleted the VM, including the VDI, restored my VDI from a backup and created a new VM with the same configuration
Simply copying the backed-up vdi over the top of the broken vdi is sufficient to restore the vdi contents. No need to destroy and re-make the whole VM. Activation and licensing issues could happen with your method, since a new .vbox file means a new 'motherboard'.

Please upgrade to 7.0.6 Virtualbox, Extension Pack if used, and Guest Additions. Please try uninstalling the existing GAs, reboot the VM, then install 7.0.6 GAs.

If this does not get a stable VM, and you have 3D acceleration turned on, try running the VM with 3D acceleration turned off. If that stabilizes the VM, please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.