Virtualbox version 7.0.6 'terminal' not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bonzadog

Virtualbox version 7.0.6 'terminal' not working

Post by Bonzadog »

8) 28.1.2023

VMBOX 7.0.6 running on Win 10 pro

Everything seems to work except the terminal. When one clicks on the terminal the "terminal" appears on top of the screen - as expected - but does not open a terminal window and the "terminal" disappears from the top of the screen.

Please help!
Last edited by scottgus1 on 28. Jan 2023, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed topic title
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Vmbob version 7.0.6

Post by scottgus1 »

Bonzadog wrote:Everything seems to work except the terminal.
Virtualbox doesn't have a 'terminal'. It has commands one can type into the Windows host OS's Command Prompt, but no specific Virtualbox-provided 'terminal'.

Can you elaborate, please?
Bonzadog

Re: Virtualbox version 7.0.6 'terminal' not working

Post by Bonzadog »

You are correct I should have been more careful in my reply. I installed the latest vmbox 7.0.6 under Win 10 pro and then installed ubuntu 22.04.1 . After starting ubuntu , I can click on ie firefox etc and it works. but when I start ubuntu's Terminal, the word Termin appears briefly then gets cleared and no terminal box is displayed.
I wonder what it is I have done wrong??
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox version 7.0.6 'terminal' not working

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, that is more clear.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)