v6 vs v7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BCosell

v6 vs v7

Post by BCosell »

I've been running VB version 6 for a long time. This morning it was odd, but it said there's a new version of _v7_ available. It feels like they're trying to coax me to move to V7. So I ask: what's the difference between v6 and v7. Is it worthwhile moving to v7? If so, it is easy and clean?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: v6 vs v7

Post by multiOS »

If you only have one PC on which you run VirtualBox, you might be better sticking with Version 6.1.xx for a few more months, as it is the more stable option and will continue to receive necessary updates until the end of this year. If you have a second PC to test on, or you are the more adventurous type, then by all means try the upgrade and join in with the 'testing', as it contains much new/rewritten code and is still going through the 'bug' identification/squashing phase that most software experiences once it is exposed to a wider audience and range of hardware.

This is only my personal view, so you might get other opinions.It is, of, course, possible for Windows users to re-install version 6.1.xx if you decide to try the upgrade and have any problems.

Changes: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog