VM can be used as a seperated workstation?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BigJoe

VM can be used as a seperated workstation?

Post by BigJoe »

Hi there!

I run a restaurant, and I plan to cut costs using VM. (At least, I am trying to figure out if it is possible).

In my restaurant, there are number of different sections/stations where they would have to look read orders and information from different monitors for different areas.
Rather than buying a separate computer on each area, I thought could run virtual machines and connect each virtual machine to different monitors together with separated mice and keyboards.

Basically almost like a separate workstation or computer if you would say for each area but in reality, all is running through one supercomputer.
Now, I am very good with tech and all IT-related things, but I cannot seem to find if I can use separated monitor for each virtual machine I create for all different areas.

Also, I would like these monitors to reflect the virtual machines only without the window look. Almost connecting to the VMs via anydesk/teamview style, a real PC alike look and feel.
The idea is also when we start the restaurant, we switch on one computer and everything comes on without having to turn on multiple computers.

Is this possible, or virtual machines simply cannot be used this way? Before I make a significant investment on this idea, I am trying to understand if what I am trying to do is possible.
I would like each virtual machine to have its on dedicated monitor and mouse as they are a computer of their own, possible or not?

Looking forward for someones reply.
Thank you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM can be used as a seperated workstation?

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtual machines can be used this way. Multiple host monitors can each show a VM. And USB filters can be used to divert unique* USB keyboards and mice to each VM. ( * each keyboard & mouse either needs unique codes or unique port numbers for the filter, see USB basics and troubleshooting )

However, getting each VM 'screen' coordinated to each physical monitor may be interesting. FullScreen is the 'not in a window' look you're wanting, and some reports of inability to control which host screen the VM goes FullScreen on have been posted. I haven't tested with a multiple-screen host in a while. You might have some issues getting things set up after a host reboot.

It may be better to look into a Thin-Station-style remote desktop scheme, for remoting into the VMs on the server, or just buy simple low-cost computers for each station.
BigJoe

Re: VM can be used as a seperated workstation?

Post by BigJoe »

Hi, thank you for your reply.

The idea is basically to have one super machine, and the rest are just additional monitors, mice and keyboards.
That way, I cut cost on the money being spend and buying many computers (also cutting on electricity).

I thought of the same, use anydesk or teamviewer to run it on the screens but it is not the idea considering cost and electricity consumption.
I seem to have found a way but will test it out soon to see if it works.

Next problem is that, if the computer crashes or gives some sort of trouble, all the computers will. That is the only scary part.
Could you guide me through how to do it on VM setup you say it is possible if not too much trouble for youe?

Thanks!