PCI IO & CAN Kard Passthrough for VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DeBa

PCI IO & CAN Kard Passthrough for VirtualBox

Post by DeBa »

Hello everybody,

I'm working with VirtualBox for the first time and I'm really at a loss at the moment.

I have an old PC that runs Windows xp. An IO card and a Can card are connected to this PC via the PCI ports. In addition, this panel PC has a connection for a serial interface.

My problem is that this PC is no longer available and I now have to assemble and configure a new PC to replace it.
As we have special programs that only work on Windows XP (I have also tested them on Windows 10 without success and have also tried all Windows XP modes), I now have to run a virtual machine with Windows XP on the host with Windows 10.
I have now virtualised the old PC with disk2vhd and got it to run halfway on Virtualbox. Now I have to somehow get the PCI cards to run via the virtual machine.
I have to make an image of the old OS of the PC, because I can't find anything about these programmes.

I can't really find anything on the internet. I hope that you can help me with this.

If you have any questions or ideas, please get in touch.

Thank you for your Help
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: PCI IO & CAN Kard Passthrough for VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

Sorry, no can do. Directly accessing physical hardware is not something that virtual machines do. All of the "physical hardware things" that you can think of are in in fact all on some kind of a network, and the only thing the VM needs direct access to is the virtual network card which VirtualBox provides. There is nothing equivalent for PCI.

Besides which, I'm not sure what a VM buys you. Your problem will be that many modern PCs don't have PCI slots any more (they have PCIe). But if you found one you no doubt could still run XP on it. This has come up before and I believe that industrial PCs which have old style PCI slots are still commercially available.

Another thing that has come up before is "this program requires XP" - which is usually false. What it usually boils down to is that some old apps from the XP period still had a 16bit installer, and the 16bit NTVDM layer is gone in 64bit Windows. It's still there in 32bit Windows. You could either install 32bit Windows (up to Win10), or skip the installer and copy the files and registry info from a previous installation. Executive summary: things will go better if you pinpoint exactly what makes it require XP.
DeBa

Post by DeBa »

Hello mpack,
Thank you very much for your answer.

It is a pity that I cannot load it on a virtual machine. I was also not sure which VM supports it, as there is hardly any information about it.

So the PC I borrowed and which should be used is a Beckhoff Panel PC. It is relatively new and has PCI connections. It was also selected for this. It should replace a Siemens Panel (article number 6AV7890-0AA00-1AB0), as these PCs are no longer available.

Regarding your idea with the 32 bit Windows 10. Currently a Windows 10 with 32 bit is already loaded and it has an error on this PC.

The program (Proprog from Baumüller) we use is for configuring the motors and has to compiled once during each loading process. Installing and starting it worked without any problems, but it has an error during the compilation. I have already contacted Baumüller about this and they think that it is due to the operating system and nothing can be done (standard answer).

Do you have any other ideas?

PS. I can not include the Link of the PC but if you search for "Beckhoff Single Touch panel pc CP65xx" you should find the answer too.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

DeBa wrote:it has an error on this PC.
That gives me no information.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I'd point out that since you can't use Virtualbox to pass the items through, then this is no longer a Virtualbox forum question, and needs to be directed to the card & PC manufactures to correct.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Since it was me who suggested that 32bit Windows might be the solution, I'm willing to provide a one paragraph comment on the error mentioned, if I get an adequate description of it. However as Scott mentions, that falls into the realm in Windows PC support, not the realm of VirtualBox usage, so I would not be willing to continue the conversation much beyond that.