VirtualBox refusing to open

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
JasonR_Physicist

VirtualBox refusing to open

Post by JasonR_Physicist »

Hi everyone,

I have downloaded VirtualBox 4.3.36 (an old client, specific for my needs) on a windows 10 computer. After it successfully installed, the desktop icon shows up. However after double clicking it (and tried running it in admin mode), nothing comes up. Same issue for when I access the VirtualBox application through the files menu. In the task manager, all I see under the "more" tab is "VirtualBox Interface".

I made sure that Hyper-V is checked on, but what else could be preventing VirtualBox from opening?

Edit: when I run VBoxSDL, I get a prompt that quickly disappears. It says: "RTLdrOpenwithReader failed: Unknown Status -626 (exfffffd8e) (Image-" \Systemoot\System32\ntdll.d11')"

Thanks,
Jason
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox refusing to open

Post by mpack »

JasonR_Physicist wrote: I made sure that Hyper-V is checked on, but what else could be preventing VirtualBox from opening?
Well that, for starters. VirtualBox 4.x is not compatible with Hyper-v. Note however that that would only prevent VMs from running, it would not prevent you from launching the manager.

I would uninstall VirtualBox, then reinstall for the correct use using "Run as adminstrator" to get the temp permissions needed to install drivers.

And btw, VirtualBox 4.x fell out of support long ago. There's no guarantee that it works on current releases of Win10. If you need to freeze your VBox version then you may need to freeze your host PC too, both OS and hardware.