Audio choppy

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
KDLGates

Audio choppy

Post by KDLGates »

Created an Oracle Account to come seek support on this. Working my way through The Odin Project which requires using Virtual Box for Windows users.

Googling "Virtualbox Ubuntu crackling" returns many of us.

Fixes attempted and failed: Installing Pulse Audio and toggling the Ubuntu output device from the default Stereo Duplex to Stereo Output, lowering CPUs and enabling 3D Accel (even though it doesn't seem to be "taxing the host"), enabling Spatial Sound on the host ("Windows Sonic for Headphones"), changing audio device in VirtualBox from ICH AC97 to Intel HD Audio. I believe I have the virtualization extensions correct and also have the :vboxv: .

No impact on the problem so far. It's just bad enough that I can't bear to watch the YouTube resources or anything that uses audio really on the Guest. Might have to consume those resources on the Host but I was also using Fullscreen mode with 2 out of 2 monitors being used for the Guest so it's annoying having to switch out the 2nd VirtualBox monitor every time.

This appears to be a problem for perhaps many users over the years with no universal fix?
KDLGates

Re: My Audio is choppy and everything I tried from this forums has not been able to fix it.

Post by KDLGates »

In trying to figure this out I ran into lots of people like me with the issue at The Odin Project Discord.

Is it possible this is something users are just "dealing with" rather than complaining about? Maybe it's something to do with newer VirtualBox versions?
It's kind of discouraging tbh, hopefully not one of those stealth problems that turns people off from continuing.

Looks like those who use USB audio can somehow reroute that to the Host but that's not going to work for me. Wonder if the Virtual Box maintainers might have accidentally introduced an audio bug for many users in some recent version?