Issues with Citrix Hypervisor on Virtualbox 7.0.x

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
marplo90

Issues with Citrix Hypervisor on Virtualbox 7.0.x

Post by marplo90 »

Hello,

I am running a small test environment on VirtualBox that has Citrix Hypervisor 8.1 installed. It is run from Windows 10 22h2.

After update to latest 7.0.x line I am unable to boot persistent machines within hypervisor - they turn immediately to 'paused' and then shutdown right away. It looks as if it had 'force shutdown' applied but it's not visible in xen log files.
However, the setup works pretty flawless on 6.1.42 - no issues with booting within hypervisor.

Tried to poke around with logs and main settings, but no success so far.
From vbox log it seems to be running without issues, yet however something must have changed in v 7.0 that prohibits proper boot of the nested VMs.

I would appreciate any advice on that :wink:

So far I am staying on 6.1.x line, at least until its EOL.
Attachments
VBox_7.0.6.log.7z
(30.58 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Issues with Citrix Hypervisor on Virtualbox 7.0.x

Post by mpack »

I assume that Citrix Hypervisor will require VT-x/AMD-v.

To that end I assume that you checked the VM settings box for "Enable Nested VT-x/AMD-v".

Note however that the only supported nested hypervisors are VirtualBox, Oracle VM and KVM.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Issues with Citrix Hypervisor on Virtualbox 7.0.x

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, on the VirtualBox 7.0 branch there is work in progress to support Hyper-V as a nested hypervisor, so it's not unlikely that nested virtualization for other hypervisors is affected. Therefore, I'd suggest to create a ticket in the Bugtracker.