critical error installing VB 7.0.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Wowsoppel

critical error installing VB 7.0.6

Post by Wowsoppel »

Hello.

I recieve critical error when trying to install the latest version, 7.0.6, on win10.
There is no issue installing 7.0.4, only the latest version. Any ideas why? The error message doesn't provide much info.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: critical error installing VB 7.0.6

Post by mpack »

Wowsoppel wrote:The error message doesn't provide much info.
It provides even less when you don't pass it on!

The installer on Windows is MDI, the Windows Installer. VirtualBox isn't running at this point.
Wowsoppel

Post by Wowsoppel »

mpack wrote:
Wowsoppel wrote:The error message doesn't provide much info.
It provides even less when you don't pass it on!

The installer on Windows is MDI, the Windows Installer. VirtualBox isn't running at this point.
It literally says "ended prematuely because of an error" and "fatal error during installation".
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Admittedly that's not very helpful, but like I said - MSI is a Microsoft product, VirtualBox is not running until you finish installing and then run it.

Perhaps look at the Windows event viewer. Also make sure to use "Run as administrator" when running the installer.
Wowsoppel

Post by Wowsoppel »

mpack wrote:Admittedly that's not very helpful, but like I said - MSI is a Microsoft product, VirtualBox is not running until you finish installing and then run it.

Perhaps look at the Windows event viewer. Also make sure to use "Run as administrator" when running the installer.
viewtopic.php?t=93367

This is the problem, again apparantly!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Those are basic error messages sans detail to solve them unfortunately.

First let's try this:
  1. Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
  2. Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
  3. Reboot again.
  4. If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
  5. Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
If that does not get you a working Virtualbox install, try this:
Make a new folder on your C drive to put the installer and the log it will make:
C:\VBinstall

Put the installer in the new folder. Open a Run-As-Admin command prompt. Drag-n-drop the installer on the Command Prompt window, then finish typing this in the command line:

"C:\VBinstall\VirtualBox-X.Y.Z-######-Win.exe"{space}--logging{space}--msi-log-file{space}"C:\VBinstall\textfile.txt"

So, as an example, for 6.1.36 it should've read:

"C:\VBinstall\VirtualBox-6.1.36-152435-Win.exe" --logging --msi-log-file "C:\VBinstall\msilog.txt"

Your version's numbers will be different, but you shold follow the same pattern. Zip and post the log using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Wowsoppel

Post by Wowsoppel »

Did what you suggest and same result unfortunately. I have attached the logfile.
Last edited by Wowsoppel on 20. Jan 2023, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If I read the log correctly (and I might not be, I'm no MSI Log guru) there seems to be a problem installing the USB filtering system:
DIFXAPP: ERROR: encountered while installing driver package 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\device\VBoxUSB.inf'
Check to see you don't have any special USB monitoring apps on you host, like Wireshark-style USB traffic monitors etc.

Aside from that we'd need to wait for a forum guru to check this out. If you never have to forward USB devices into your VM you might try turning off the USB option in the installer.
Wowsoppel

Post by Wowsoppel »

scottgus1 wrote:If I read the log correctly (and I might not be, I'm no MSI Log guru) there seems to be a problem installing the USB filtering system:
DIFXAPP: ERROR: encountered while installing driver package 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\device\VBoxUSB.inf'
Check to see you don't have any special USB monitoring apps on you host, like Wireshark-style USB traffic monitors etc.

Aside from that we'd need to wait for a forum guru to check this out. If you never have to forward USB devices into your VM you might try turning off the USB option in the installer.
Thanks. I will do that until a guru comes along. Thanks for the help so far. :-)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

MSI log file wrote:
DIFXAPP: ERROR: InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0xE0000223
@scottgus1:
Your analysis is spot on. :)

Whenever you see that installing one of the drivers failed (on the host or in the guest), more detailed information can be found in the following file (on the host or in the guest):

@Wowsoppel:
Please provide the C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log file from within the host OS.
Wowsoppel

Post by Wowsoppel »

@fth0: thank you for the explanation but I ended up reinstalling windows and found "better" drivers to use. I now installed VB 7.0.6 without issue. :)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

You're welcome, and thanks for reporting back! :)