sporadic boot failure on multiple systems

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MrBurns

sporadic boot failure on multiple systems

Post by MrBurns »

I am trying to get to the bottom of an unreliability issue that plagues my Virtualbox usage.
I am using Virtualbox 6.1.40 with matching GA.
I have written some bash scripts that loop through booting a stripped down vm.
The scripts run until they encounter an error.
Sometimes I boot in series 10, or 20, or 50, or 100 instances, but I always eventually encounter a boot failure.
The Gui appears in its tty stage, black and with nothing in it.
All I can do is hard poweroff such instances.
There are five attached logs that are named per my system I have run them on.
My test systems are as follows...

P1 - Lenovo P1 with ample memory
Skylake - Intel Skylake 6800k with ample memory
Ryzen - AMD Ryzen 5950x with 64G memory
Epyc - AMD Epyc (first gen) with 64G memory

All eventually fail.

Also in the zip is a test called 'vm2', which is simply an example of a successful boot with my toolchain.

The log for the epyc test was written before the vm's poweroff, but the rest are complete.

I have scoured the net for clues, and I believe this problem has plagued others as well.

Any solution would make my month!

Thanks,
rkendal
Attachments
boot-fail.zip
(121.55 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
MrBurns

Re: sporadic boot failure on multiple systems

Post by MrBurns »

I also should add the host operating systems are as follows...

P1: Windows 10
Ryzen: Windows 10
Skylake: Windows 10
Epyc: Ubuntu (KDE) 20.04.1

Therefore, I rule out the Windows environment as being the problem as it happens equally in Ubuntu.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Why so paltry on the VM specs? Your host seems to be capable of more.

Modern 64bit OS like having 2 CPU cores and plenty of ram and video ram. I would routinely give a 64bit guest at least 4GB RAM (ideally 8GB, or 16GB if the VM needs it), 2 CPU cores, 128MB graphics RAM, and 32GB to 64GB disk space.

Enable 3D acceleration if appropriate (desktop OS with fullhd or better graphics).
MrBurns

Post by MrBurns »

mpack wrote:Why so paltry on the VM specs? Your host seems to be capable of more.

Modern 64bit OS like having 2 CPU cores and plenty of ram and video ram. I would routinely give a 64bit guest at least 4GB RAM (ideally 8GB, or 16GB if the VM needs it), 2 CPU cores, 128MB graphics RAM, and 32GB to 64GB disk space.

Enable 3D acceleration if appropriate (desktop OS with fullhd or better graphics).
These are scaled down test vms intended to hone in on a bug - nothing more.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

MrBurns wrote: These are scaled down test vms intended to hone in on a bug - nothing more.
IMO you trimmed beyond the fat and started cutting meat and bone...
MrBurns

Post by MrBurns »

mpack wrote:
MrBurns wrote: These are scaled down test vms intended to hone in on a bug - nothing more.
IMO you trimmed beyond the fat and started cutting meat and bone...
For testing purposes I doubt I trimmed too much - otherwise I could not explain how the vms boot most of the time.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

See the minimum recommended specs for running a 64-Bit Ubuntu OS: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... quirements

Your VMs have been allocated far less resource than the minimum recommendations, Experimentation may be O.K, but if you are aiming for consistency I would say "all bets are off".
MrBurns

Post by MrBurns »

multiOS wrote:See the minimum recommended specs for running a 64-Bit Ubuntu OS: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... quirements

Your VMs have been allocated far less resource than the minimum recommendations, Experimentation may be O.K, but if you are aiming for consistency I would say "all bets are off".
I am testing with a minimal server install, not a full desktop install. Is 1 cpu and 1024 not adequate for that?
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

You'll have to ask what spec would be reasonable on an Ubuntu Forum? Canonical determines the 'hardware' spec needed by their OS, VirtualBox only provides the means for you to assemble the virtual PC. But, I really cannot understand why you are debating this when your PC seems capable of providing more resource to your test VMs without any negative impact; and when its a trivial exercise to try varying the resources provided before launching the VM(s).

IME 64-bit VMs based on Debian/Ubuntu can usually operate effectively with 2 CPUs and 2GB RAM (plus the necessary level of VRAM) to operate effectively at a 'base' testing level, but those requirements may need to be adjusted depending on use/testing requirements. mpack's higher resource suggestions obviously come into play if VMs are to be used in a 'production environment' and the Host system can provide them.
MrBurns

Post by MrBurns »

multiOS wrote:You'll have to ask what spec would be reasonable on an Ubuntu Forum? Canonical determines the 'hardware' spec needed by their OS, VirtualBox only provides the means for you to assemble the virtual PC. But, I really cannot understand why you are debating this when your PC seems capable of providing more resource to your test VMs without any negative impact; and when its a trivial exercise to try varying the resources provided before launching the VM(s).

IME 64-bit VMs based on Debian/Ubuntu can usually operate effectively with 2 CPUs and 2GB RAM (plus the necessary level of VRAM) to operate effectively at a 'base' testing level, but those requirements may need to be adjusted depending on use/testing requirements. mpack's higher resource suggestions obviously come into play if VMs are to be used in a 'production environment' and the Host system can provide them.
I was not debating this - you are. I am certain I have allotted sufficient resources. Your chiming in with a true lack of understanding of what's going on here really does not help.
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

Then it appears you are on your own. Good luck with resolving your problem.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Since the discussion is going nowhere nice - locking it.