Windows 10 guest on windows 10 host - freezing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
akm-gh

Windows 10 guest on windows 10 host - freezing

Post by akm-gh »

hi

I got a new laptop, which is faster then my old on but with both VB 6 and VB 7 I experience weird freezing moments on the guest. can take up to 30-40 sec and makes you feel the whole guest has crashed but wait long enough and things will begin to work again.

Included the log file when it happened today (after about 2:15 of working without a single hickup)
I assume its host related but no clue where to look.

Regards,
Attachments
VBox-freeze.zip
(38.56 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 guest on windows 10 host - freezing

Post by mpack »

Follow the golden rule: weird freezing, crashing or very slow performance when you launch a VM? Check for Hyper-v. As here.
00:00:05.498761 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:05.530781 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:05.530793 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetHvPartitionId.
00:00:05.530795 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetPartitionProperty.
00:00:05.530835 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
NEM aka Hyper-v. For details of how to disable it properly, see HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

Why have you reduced the host core allocation to only one core? That doesn't sound good for stability to me. The norm would be to divide your 4 cores equally between host code (which includes VirtualBox) and guest code.

Also, the overhead of simulating fullhd graphics should be greatly reduced if you enable hardware (3d) graphics acceleration.
akm-gh

Post by akm-gh »

mpack wrote:Follow the golden rule: weird freezing, crashing or very slow performance when you launch a VM? Check for Hyper-v. As here.
00:00:05.498761 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:05.530781 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:05.530793 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetHvPartitionId.
00:00:05.530795 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetPartitionProperty.
00:00:05.530835 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
NEM aka Hyper-v. For details of how to disable it properly, see HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

Why have you reduced the host core allocation to only one core? That doesn't sound good for stability to me. The norm would be to divide your 4 cores equally between host code (which includes VirtualBox) and guest code.

Also, the overhead of simulating fullhd graphics should be greatly reduced if you enable hardware (3d) graphics acceleration.
hi Mpack

thank you for your answers:

1- will do the hyperv after this post, I did check and thought it was not installed.
2- not sure what you mean by this, the system has 8 cpu, I put 3 on this guest.
3- I would love to enable 3D again, but it results into black squares over icons, black screen when printscreen etc. etc (on VB 7)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

the system has 8 cpu, I put 3 on this guest.
Your system has 1 CPU, consisting of 4 cores and 8 threads. We don't care about threads.
https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/ ... tions.html.

Fix the graphics glitches by disabling Transparency Effects inside the Windows guest.
akm-gh

Post by akm-gh »

mpack wrote:
the system has 8 cpu, I put 3 on this guest.
Your system has 1 CPU, consisting of 4 cores and 8 threads. We don't care about threads.
https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/ ... tions.html.

Fix the graphics glitches by disabling Transparency Effects inside the Windows guest.
hyperv was a bit of an issues, but this line at the bottom of the link you posted was the key: To turn off the Windows Memory Integrity security feature, on the Windows host navigate to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Device security > Core isolation > Memory integrity. After that systeminfo.exe shows the proper info now.

as for cores, will set it to 2 then in Vbox settings instead of 3.

Transparency been of for year, this is really a VBox 7 vs VBox 6 thing, will check next release how 3D works.

but the hyper-v really made the difference

thank you for your help