error in opening VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AztecBanana

error in opening VM

Post by AztecBanana »

Below is the error when I try to open my Kali VM with Virtual Box 7.0.4r154605:
VM ss2.JPG
VM ss2.JPG (33.1 KiB) Viewed 646 times
PS. I have installed and reinstalled this version about 5 times already. Have also tried restaring my computer after installation and still nothing :oops: :oops: :oops:

The log is here:
VBoxHardening.rar
log file
(18.45 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Any help would be appreciated
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: error in opening VM

Post by mpack »

You would get this error message if you've been copying VirtualBox executable files around, and not updating them when a new version is installed. Don't do that.
AztecBanana

Post by AztecBanana »

mpack wrote:You would get this error message if you've been copying VirtualBox executable files around, and not updating them when a new version is installed. Don't do that.
Well is there a way to fix this? It seems uninstalling Virtual Box using the executable, control panel, or IObit surfer doesn't fix the issue at all. Is there no way to solve it without formatting my computer?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you've been manually copying executable files around then you would have to manually delete the copies. The uninstaller has no knowledge of them.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

This could be from Virtualbox driver files that the host OS grabs onto so hard that the Virtualbox Uninstaller can't delete them.

Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
Reboot again.
If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.