Windows 10 on a VM does not start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
FaizQ

Windows 10 on a VM does not start

Post by FaizQ »

Hello,
I am using a window10 iso image file to start my VM but the VM is not getting started, it is displaying a message "A Media drive your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB....."
What could be the reason? How should I fix this issue?
Thanks
IQ
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 on a VM does not start

Post by scottgus1 »

The error appears to be a Windows error, not a Virtualbox error, and it refers to a media driver. That the Windows error can show means Virtualbox is running and is showing the installer OS correctly.

So it appears the ISO you have is not complete to install Windows. Check for a complete ISO from Microsoft, or troubleshoot further using Microsoft help channels.

Note that the Virtualbox settings when you made the VM define the 'hardware' used in the VM. The 'hardware' is chosen so the OS picked in the template will have native drivers. If you did not set the VM up correctly for Windows 10, then the wrong hardware may be present, for which the ISO may not have drivers.
FaizQ

Re: Windows 10 on a VM does not start

Post by FaizQ »

Thank you, Scott, you were absolutely right my installation media I was using was not correct, I again got the correct media file from MS website, and it worked.
A few quick questions (sorry very dumb questions!)
1) As of now I have the basic setup, 2gb ram, 50gb disk space, Can I change or upgrade my RAM setting, Disk space freely anytime, or does it not allow these things.
2) I do not use my PC for other stuff, so does it affect my main PC a lot if I have a bigger RAM and disk space on my VM.

Regards
IQ