Wifi USB Passthrough

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sbstnkppn

Wifi USB Passthrough

Post by sbstnkppn »

Hello!

I've installed Linux Lite as VM on a Windows Machine, and would like it to recognize the Wifi/Bluetooth USB Adapter (Realtek).

I've Installed the drivers for Linux, the VM recognizes the USB Dongle and it works fine with Bluetooth. I've tried every network configuration but the system doesn't show any Wifi signals. Any Ideas?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Wifi USB Passthrough

Post by mpack »

If you mean to share the USB WiFi dongle with the host, that will not work. USB is endpoint to endpoint, there is no sharing.

Assuming that the USB dongle is working on the host, just configure the VM to use NAT.

If you're sure that you need to access the USB and not the network, then the BlueTooth and WiFi interfaces may appear as separate devices, both of which must be captured if you need both.
sbstnkppn

Post by sbstnkppn »

The Idea was to have internet access on the client machine but not the host, seeing as I don't like letting Windows have access to the Internet for various reasons. Granted, I don't know if this can work.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.