Virtualbox 7.0.2 automatically uninstalling on Windows 11 22H2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
msalman

Virtualbox 7.0.2 automatically uninstalling on Windows 11 22H2

Post by msalman »

Greetings
I have recently upgraded to windows 11 and facing strange issue of virtual box uninstalling itself while ruining, I was using older version of virtual box previously on windows 10 and it was running fine, problem has started after the upgrade.
In event viewer I can see virtual box installer running and uninstalling itself. A warning does appear in event viewer that might be related

Code: Select all

Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: {6F1855EE-52D3-4E5B-B77B-55005C239B71}. Client Process Id: 30476.

Application 'C:\VirtualBox\VirtualBoxVM.exe' (pid 30840) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..
and then I saw uninstalled event

Product: Oracle VM VirtualBox 7.0.2 -- Removal completed successfully.
I have a windows 11 build version of 22H2.
This is very strange problem, any help will ne highly appreciated
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox 7.0.2 automatically uninstalling on Windows 11 22H2

Post by scottgus1 »

msalman wrote:In event viewer I can see virtual box installer running and uninstalling itself.
This is most definitely not something that Virtualbox does by itself.

The Virtualbox installer is actually a Microsoft MSI app with the Virtualbox payload. It does not auto-start itself, and Virtualbox has no way to auto-start it.

Your host OS or some other app in the host OS is doing this. Look for 'app updater' apps you or the IT dept may have installed, or ask on a Microsoft forum.