Virtualbox Efficiency

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VirtualUser03

Virtualbox Efficiency

Post by VirtualUser03 »

Hello everyone! I wanted to ask a question regarding the efficiency of Virtual Box on USB devices.

Yesterday I bought a Samsung USB stick with 128 Gb of storage and a maximum declared reading speed of 400 mb/s (maximum writing 40 mb/s) these characteristics are good for a virtual OS (I have to use Linux Mint 21 - Cinnamon)? In the sense, it will be like having Linux natively installed on the PC and therefore much more fluid and less "laggy".

(note that previously Linux OS always ran on a 128 GB Sandisk but with a reading speed of 160 mb/s and 3 mb/s). s of writing). Thank you all :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtualbox Efficiency

Post by mpack »

We do not recommend running a VM from a USB flash drive. Theoretical throughput is only one factor, even if you believe the claims (which are usually inflated). USB-FDs normally have a smaller number of parallel IO threads, small buffers, write speeds that degrade quickly in use, and flash chips that were never intended to be written to continually, and quickly overheat and fail when you try. USB-FDs are best used for transporting data, or as read-only storage (e.g. MP3 store for the car).

Add to that the danger of absent mindedly unplugged the drive in use and corrupting your data.

USB 3.1 SSDs have higher performance, but some of the downsides remain.

Btw, this has nothing to do with "the efficiency of VirtualBox on USB". VirtualBox isn't operating the USB, the host OS is. I.e. it's a host drive.